1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 hard drives 2 o/s how do I format 1 of them?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfee, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

Hi,

long story short:- after bad advice I replaced my hard drive with new one only to discover my old one is perfectly ok. So now I have 2 hard drives both set up to be the only drive and both with xp on them (I have put my old one back in and am currently using that one). So what is the easiest way (idiot proof if poss) to re-format my new hard drive and set it up as a second drive.

Thanks wolfee

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

When it comes to computers, nothing is foolproof. Still, probably the easiest way is with XP's CD. Remove the old harddrive just to insure that the it isn't adversely effected by some mistake, commence a new installation on the new drive, without starting Windows setup. Use the partitioning and formatting functions to configure the new drive as desired and abort before the setup. Or easier yet, use the Format command in the Recovery Console.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Set the jumpers on the original hard disk with the good copy of Windows to MASTER. Set the new hard drive, the one you want to use as storage to SLAVE. Once in Windows, go to Disk Management, and choose to format the second drive.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hook both drives up one as master and the other as slave then boot up. Right click My Computer, choose manage, Disk Management and format the second drive here.

5. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

all done, thanks guys..easy when you know how. I didn't realise jumpers were on the drive itself, stupidly was looking for them on the m/board lol.

Thanks again

Wolfee

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice