1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 hard drives, 2 operating systems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hunny, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hunny

hunny Thread Starter

I am currently running 2 operating systems (98SE) on a FAT32 fs and (XP) on NTFS fs on the second hard drive.

windows 98se is my c: drive - primary

xp is on my second hard drive that i've just recently installed.

for some reason, after reformatting this drive twice, i can not get all files to work - for example i cannot access system information, help and support etc etc.

i want to reformat the d drive - the one with windows xp but when i shut down to dos to do this, dos is not recognizing the d drive.... is that because i've made it NTFS and it's not seeing it from the FAT32 drive?

i'm so lost!!

my goal is to have both drives with FAT32 fs so that they are accessible from each other, but i cannot seem to be able to format the drive with xp which has nothing on it other than the operating system.

any ideas? geeze i re-read this and it doesn't even make sense to me, never mind someone else. sorry folks!

any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Sponsor

3. putasolution

putasolution

Get yourself a bootdisk from here

Download it to your hard drive, then double click on it to extract it to a floppy disk

With the disk still in the drive, reboot the computer

Choose the Start without CD ROM support
    At the A:\> type in format D:
    Press enter
    Press Y when it asks if you want to continue
    Once that is done, restart the computer and choose Start with CD ROM support

You will then have the A:\> again, Type in F: where F is the letter of the cd drive (assuming that you have no other partitions on the hard drive)

Type in setup and press enter

Format XP as FAT32

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since the drive in question is formatted with ntfs, I doubt that you will be able to format it from a boot disk [unless you run fdisk and the drive has one primary ntfs partition] The proper way to do this is from xp’s setup. Boot with the xp cd and let setup format the drive for you. You will get the option as to what format to use; ntfs or fat32. Note you will not get the fat32 option unless the drive is less than 32 gig. That is an xp / win2k limitation as to formatting with fat32 on large drives. If your drive is >32 gig, then you have a few options if you really want fat32.

1) Have setup partition the drive into <32 gig size and you will then have the option to format with fat32.
    2) Use a third party utility like Partition Magic to format the drive as fat32.
    3) Use win9x boot disk to delete non-dos partition and create / format. Note this will only work if you have just one partition on the disk. Fdisk cannot delete an ntfs logical drive in an extended partition.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Of those three options, I would use No. 1 if I really had a need to use fat32. XP's setup will not cost money like PM and it does not have the limitations that a win9x boot disk has.

6. dbn

dbn

Correct me if I am wrong here, but in order to have 2 separate hard drives in your computer with 2 different operating systems loaded on them, I believe you need to make your system a "dual boot" system to get that type of information from the XP drive.

Unless I read your question wrong. You are trying to:

for some reason, after reformatting this drive twice, i can not get all files to work - for example i cannot access system information, help and support etc etc.

and this drive is the XP drive (your D: drive).

When you boot up, you are booting to your C: drive (98SE), right?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When he reinstalls xp on the D drive, setup will detect the win9x install on C. It will install the boot menu [along with ntldr and ntdetec.com on C] allowing access to both os.

8. dbn

dbn

Is that the point of you wanting to re-format your D: drive again but this time using FAT32 instead of NTFS?

FYI -

If you are not planning to use XP as an operating system and the second hard drive is just for storage, you do not have to have and operating system loaded on it.

9. dbn

dbn

Thanks crjdriver. I was curious how that worked. I have not yet done a dual boot system. I did know that 98SE needed to be installed first though to accomplish that, I just didn't remember why that was.

10. dbn

dbn

hunny - I see you are offline right now.

Just out of curiousity, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to get both operating systems on your computer to use as a dual boot system, or are you just trying to add extra storage with the second drive?

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Actually, for the record, you can install 98 after XP is already on the computer, you just have to jump thru a few more hoops. Just did it a few days ago ;)

12. hunny

hunny Thread Starter

got it!!

followed step one as crjdriver said to do and it did it on it's own! no need of a boot disk at all.

the reason i wanted both operation systems on separate drives was to be able to learn XP (how embarrassing). i've been using windows 98se since Christ was a cowboy and figure since it's 2004, i'd best be moving on and upward! hence the XP finally.

however, having said that, i still wanted to be able to run back to win 98 (old faithful)..

this is a "just for now" thing. i'll soon delete 98SE and run XP alone with the second drive just for storage.

thanks so much to everyone who took the time to help... get's kinda confusing after awhile.

i'm sure i'll be hounding everyone for answers to questions re: XP and hope i don't get annoying :)

thanks again everyone!

hunny

ps.... isn't a dual boot program only necessary if you are running two operating systems on the same drive? just curious

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, a third party program is not necessary. XP [or win2k] will install it's own boot loader for you during the install process. It does not matter if the os are on seperate drives or partitions of the same drive.

14. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I was under the impression that 3rd party software was required for dual booting with 2 hard drives. (That XP could only do it by itself if the 2 OSes were on the same disc)

15. Loose4Bruce

Loose4Bruce

What are the reasons why someone wants or needs a dual boot system?
    I'm curious.

16. putasolution

putasolution

Some programs won't work on older O'S, some won't on Newer ones.

There are people like myself who still use both systems to play around with the registries

The other reason is that we can:eek:

Longhair, it could have been done on one or two hard drives, as long as there were two partitions

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/208575