1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 hard drives as one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daned, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daned

daned Thread Starter

I have 2 hard drives, both woefully small and disk space is often an issue. I have one as a slave and one as a master, so they show up as 2 seperate drives.

Am I right in thinking that there's some way to make them act as though they were one drive? ie. if a file were too big for 1 drive, then it would be written onto both.

Or should I stop being such a miser and go buy a decent hard drive?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Daned
    I am not of aware of a way to combine the resources of two physical drives under one drive letter which is what would be required for windows to view the second drive as extended.
    You can do a couple of things to help yourself out though to some degree.
    Move all static files to "C" drive using up to 60% max of space. Keep in mind virtual memory cache, temp folders\file and other similar functions are dynamic and you do not want to push to limits stalling system and loosing data. Also consider cleaning and defraging very often.
    On your other drive you could conceivably keep all dynamic and personal items there also moving the virtual memory cache there as well.

Bottom line I guess is...... If you that cramped for space it may be a great investment to buy a larger drive while they are relatively inexpensive. If you do research you will find 20GB hard drives have bottomed out and 40GB hard drives a just slightly more in cost. Another option if monies are tight is finding a larger used drive. Maybe from your local computer shop. But personally I would shy away from that option especially if your data is valuable.

Dave

3. raybro

raybro

If the drives are that small (or crowded), it will just be a matter of time before you will run up against the wall. This can have a number of unplaesent consequences. Best alteranative is to break loose with the bucks and buy a larger drive. I never allow a drive to get more than about over 60% or so of it's capacity. Just my own rule of thumb.

4. BTex

BTex

As far s I know if you had a 3rd drive to load an OS on and the two drives were the same you could stripe them under windows . I think thats what its called

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

I believe that in order to do as BTex suggested you would need a RAID controller. Striping the drives would let you use two drives as one but if one drive went dead you would lose all the data on both drives. A bigger hard drive is probably your best solution.

6. zeddy

zeddy

HD prices are so low it is time to go and get yourself a nice big one.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Although there are probably ways to combine them logically, I fail to see the sense in doing that. I'm with the other folks, I see 40gig hard disks for $40 after rebate, skip a couple of meals. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice