1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 hard drives XP and ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ron351, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ron351

ron351 Thread Starter

I have a compaq presario 5000 and left the hard drive in it that came with the machine and have taken a HP Pavilion 7850 computer that took a dump and added the HP HD and memory and processor to the compaq.

Heres my question. The compaq has windows ME installed.
    I took the memory 512 from the HP and the processor 933Hz and 80 GIG HD and put all of this in the compaq.

Ok, now it boots to the compaq HD which it always has with windows ME on the original HD.
    I can read everything on the 2nd HD from the HP which has windows XP PRO

Is it possible to boot to the XP PRO when I start the computer?
    Do I have to swap the HDs or is it a BIOS config to boot to the 80gig HD with xp pro?

Is it possible to boot to both systems and switch from one to another?

Right now it is like a storage HD with the XP PRO HD and it would be nice to run the XP PRO on boot or switch to it if I want to.

Anyone know some Ideas of how to do this?

Thanks, Ron

2. Ol Sarge

Ol Sarge Guest

Normally, you can go into BIOS at startup and change the boot sequence for 2nd boot device from hdd0 to hdd1, or however they are listed. That lets you use one OS at a time with access to both hard drives. Worth a shot.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

XP normally isn't too happy about booting with new hardware.

My best guess, is, if you try to boot to that drive in that computer, you will get a lovely blue screen crying about some stop error.

To answer you question, some bios setups allow for the user to choose what drive to boot from......so you'll have to check to see if you have that option. If you don't, then you'll have to manually change the drives via jumpers.

4. ron351

ron351 Thread Starter

Thanks, you know the key used with compaq to get to BIOS? I don't think I ever found it on this machine before, I tried F1 F8 Delete and I think it was F8 that got me to a selection screen for safe mode and step by step thing.

5. ron351

ron351 Thread Starter

I will try it and see what happens, only thing every time I try to get to the bios on the compaq it seemed to be a pain finding out how.
    I tried delete, F1 F8 and one of them got me to a selection of safe mode and step by step congig and never did get to the bios, any idea on which key compaq uses to get to bios?
    If all else fails or I get the dreaded blue screen, I will try to switch jumper cables or the jumper pins, I don't think changing the ribbons will make any difference will it?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

F 10 is the secret key for Compaq bios.

Changing jumpers is not going to change the fact that you get a blue screen. I'd pull anything off the XP drive before you start playing around. You may be able to get away with an XP repair install on the XP drive, but sometimes, things can still be lost.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice