1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigsooner, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigsooner

bigsooner Thread Starter

My grandson wants a computer on which he can play games. I have a 586 with a 10 GB hard drive. His mother has indicated he will have a LOT of games. Therefore a need for larger hard drive. I have an extra 10 GB which I can install. What do I need to do to get them both working correctly. Also, are the games loaded on both drives. If so, do I cahnge the drive letter for the new game location?
    Many thanks.

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

If you install the new HD, I think plug & pray should pick it up, and run you through the partitioning and format. And when you download data or save games whatever, it should ask you what drive to save to. Not to sure on this one though, it's just what I thought happened.

3. codexaenir

codexaenir

You might need some screws, and may have to set the jumpers on the hard drive. Just read the manual.

4. ozinpho

ozinpho

Hi, depending on your motherboard operating system [CMOS] the method may have slight variations during setup. There are two ways you can attach the second hard drive. 1) TURN POWER OFF and remove mains plug. Set the jumpers to slave [SL] on the new hard drive, attach to the first, from motherboard, connection point of the IDE cable running to your primary hard drive. Connect the hard drive to an inboard computer power take off. Screw HD onto chassis. Reconnect power and turn computer on, as BTW, depending on CMOS, everything should now be taken care of by the computer as it powers up. A drive letter will be allocated to the new HD, usually D: and your cd which used to be D: will now become E:. No need to worry, it is just what happens. Any game can be made to go onto this secondary HD. Some game files will have to go onto C: because they need to use Windows system files, but not many. If you need more info for second method, just holler. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice