1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smil3y73, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smil3y73

smil3y73 Thread Starter

I have two hard drives. One is an external hard drive by usb. I set it up to be the primary.
    It has Linux and MS Server 2003 on it. Linux is the primary on the drive. My problem is when it loads it goes to command line "grub>" I did have it in a hard case and it hooked up by IDE cable and it would just load. Now that I have switched it to USB, this "grub>" command comes up and it says i must load the kernel before I can boot.. Im not real sure about what command i need to put.

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

Do you mean that the drive used to be internal and you took it out and put it in a USB enclosure? If that is the case, then all you need to do is reinstall the Linux bootlaoder (GRUB), so that it points to the partition at it's new location. You will have to use a drive mapping or partitioning tool such as Acronios to determine the exact location of the drive (i.e, /dev/sdb1), then you just need to run the following command:

grub> grub-install /dev/hd0 (replace with location of your partition)

Hope this helps.

3. smil3y73

smil3y73 Thread Starter

Yes that helps! Thank you very much for your input..
    Im new to linux lol

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice