1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 harddrives mmmm?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deanr, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deanr

deanr Thread Starter

Hola Guys ! K got 2 hdds + like to shutdown older secondary drive what exactly does this entail ? When i`ve gotten virus`s they`ve infected both drives which was a pain. Like to have secondary drive dormant so at least i can have it as a back up to rely on . By the way have 98se copied on secondary drive for this purpose as a backup. Am i asking 2 much here? Thx people appreciate any tips ! Dean :D

2. dna2005

dna2005

I suppose you might be able to do this in bios settings?

I am having my own problems with bios lol so I cant tell you how :rolleyes:

But I would think it could be done there??

Hope someone else can give you more details. you could always open the ststem up and pull the power on the drive. a bit drastic and Im sure its not what you want....

Sorry I cant be any more help..

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I think the easiest and maybe the only way is to open the case and disconnect it. The bios is going to pick it up if it is connected and I have never seen a setting in any bios to disable a hard drive.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Put the second drive in a $25 external USB 2.0 case. You can turn it on when you want to access it, and shut it down the rest of the time. My USB/Firewire drives spend 99% of their life turned off, I just fire them up for backups.

5. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

You could just set that ide channel to none in the bios if it allows it, or to a user defined h/d that doesnt match your one.

Just tried on mine, worked ok

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice