2 HdD's 2 OS's = boot issues...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

patherton

Okay, so I have to Hard drives, 2 OS's Primary = Win XP Slave = Win 98 (some of my old software doesn't run on WIN XP and yes, I've tried everyting...)

I'm thinking the easiest way to boot from either primary or slave HD is to create a boot disk that when inserted into the floppy, boots from Slave, (and when not in floppy, boots regularly to Primary/Master)

I'm just trying to get out of going into the BIOS everytime I want to boot from the different drive...

that's where I'm at, and stuck. I'd appreciate any advice/slternate suggestions, etc...

BTW My primary/master drive is NOT Fat or Fat32 Its NTFS or whatever... (the other OTHER HD format...) whereas my 2nd/slave IS FAT32...

cheers....

PaThErToN

Good Evening patherton, having a dual boot is really useful but there are a few things that can cause real problems.
One idea is to have a hard drive in a removeable caddy set up as Primary master and when the caddy is engaged (fully in) it naturally becomes the master. When that drive is unseated the second drive becomes the first drive.
Of course the BIOS needs to be set for auto on Primary master and slave.
This system works best with W-98 on the removeable drive. It is pretty reliable as an idea.

Another idea is to use the boot manager included with W-xp, this usually needs W-98 to be loaded first on the first drive, and then W-xp loaded on the second drive. The problem with this is that every time something is loaded and a reboot is needed the MBR on the first drive is liable to be lost. And you have to begin again.
This gives a menu at boot as to which system you want up.

Another alternative is to have both systems loaded and then load a program like this Puppy Linux I am using which installs a boot manager to the first drive MBR and gives a reasonable Boot Menu which will include the other systems. This is usually pretty reliable but can be susceptible to problems from reboots with further system program loads.

Probably the best and most reliable method is to obtain a commercial boot manager, this gives better reliability and usually can easily be restored if affected by the mentioned reboots. (W-98 is notorious for affecting the MBR)
I like a boot manager from a Russian Programmer, called Symon3. http://symon.da.ru/
Have a read of the info on it, it is good value for money and easily rstores if it is damaged.
It is a little complex to set up but solid as a rock afterward.

Have a lot of patience with your exercise and plan how you are going to do it. No shortcuts!

Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts