1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 internet connections under 1 network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rgedit19, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rgedit19

rgedit19 Thread Starter

situation is, i have 30 pcs hooked up under one network. all 30 sharing 1 internet connection. 10 of those are put in a separate room for certain reasons. but those 10 like to download and cause lag to the other 20 pcs. my plan is to keep the 30 pcs under 1 network but ill add another internet connection exclusively for the 10pcs. and the original internet connection exclusively for the 20 pcs. how can i do that?
    reason why i need all 30 in the same network is cause they all use softwares needed to be connected to each other locally.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One way is to put the ten on two networks (two adapters, of course). The "normal" connection will be their internet access and the connection to the existing network uses a static IP configuration with the Default Gateway and DNS servers blank.

3. rgedit19

rgedit19 Thread Starter

i see your point.. but that means the ones with static ip wont have internet access right? my plan was to have 20 pcs connected using static with dns set for ISP1 and 10 pcs connected to same gateway but with dns set for ISP2. is that possible? i dont want to waste money and subscribe to a 2nd isp only to find out it cant be done.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    They won't have internet access through the statically configured connection. They will have internet access through the other connection, which I assume will be connected to the second ISP.

What you suggest is possible, but I don't see the point. You can specify different DNS servers (there are free public ones) without a second ISP, and even with dynamic (Dhcp) connections.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice