1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 issues: Programs fail to start with Windows, error in Event Viewer log

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by be4con, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. be4con

be4con Thread Starter

I've recently installed Windows 7 on a new pc and am having 2 distinct issues.

The first is that I have found that I am unable to make many programs start with Windows. Avast will, as will AI Roboform and Open Office but other simply refuse to do so. My firewall (Look n Stop) for example has the option "Start with Windows". Checking the box has no effect, the program fails to start with Windows. This issue is repeated with a number of other programs e.g. Speedfan, Peerblock

In addition adding the programs to the Startup folder has variable success. The firewall for example does load on startup when added to the startup folder but neither Speedfan or Peerblock do.

The second problem is that I am registering the error "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: EIO_XP" in the Administrative Events section of Event Viewer.

I've searched everywhere and have been unable to find a copy of this driver. It appears to be associated with the ASUS Smartdoctor utility which I do not have. I did download and install it to see if that corrected the problem but it did not and I have since uninstalled it.

I am running Win 7 (64bit).

Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are the programs with which you are having problems compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

3. be4con

be4con Thread Starter

Well, to the best of my knowledge. Certainly Speedfan and Look n Stop are listed as Windows 64 Bit compatible. There is no direct information on the Peerblock website. The program appears to function fully otherwise though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/954984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice