1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 little probs.....!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seannannie, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seannannie

seannannie Thread Starter

1. updating the bios on my epox mobo using bios magic the d/l comes up with this repoert. "the file Bios lock string does not match your system", should I continue anyway or runaway screaming like a little girl......

2. computer "nearly" freezes up (mouse moving 1 inch every 30 secs in a big leap) any ideas? (cpu temp never gets over 40C)

system amd64 3000+
    512 ddr 400
    gefx 5200 (i know sorry)
    epox 8kda-j mobo

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Run screaming . . . then download the right BIOS

wrs

3. seannannie

ha, ha! now wouldn't that be simple! according to epox website....it is the right bios for my system
    update named:KDA35105

more help please.....

system amd64 3000+
    512 ddr 400
    gefx 5200 (i know sorry)
    epox 8kda3j mobo

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just remember that is a BIOS flash goes wrong, its often the end of the motherboard.

Are you really sure that your problems are related to the BIOS and will be fixed by a flash?

If not, then don't do it. Flashing the BIOS is not a "recreational activity", its a risky action only done to correct something that the motherboard maker has identified as a problem.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

As stated, runaway screaming like a little girl......

2. computer "nearly" freezes up (mouse moving 1 inch every 30 secs in a big leap) any ideas? (cpu temp never gets over 40C)

Is this why you're attempting to flash the BIOS?

6. seannannie

no the "hanging" I think, may be related to to hd, which are nearly as old as me lol, the bios flash is needed for:

2005-01-19
    2005/01/05
    kda35105.zip
    ** Set nVidia LAN PME# wakeup by BIOS control item. ** Ratio agjustment support x5 ratio.
    ** Set dual double rank memory default 166MHz.
    ** Add Sempron D0 2000Mhz/59W support.

2004-12-15
    2004/11/30
    kda34b30.zip
    ** Patch USB device resume fail from S4 mode.
    ** Add auto option for DIMM voltage adjusts item.
    ** Add nVidia LAN boot ROM control item.
    ** Patch WinFlash shows BIOSLock string issue.

2004-10-27
    2004/10/26
    kda34a22.zip
    "** Patch Cool'n'Quiet fail for 8KDA3+ 2.0.
    ** Sovle system hang up at POST 01h when adjust CPU ratio,if DIMM2/DIMM3 exists.
    ** Patch USB device compatibility issue.
    ** Patch ACPI shutdown temperaure fail.
    ** Solve some large Hard Disk hang up undeer DOS
    ** Add USB Memory control item."

2004-09-17
    2004/09/15
    kda34915.zip
    **Patch no summary displayed if added full screen logo **Add NumLock item **Turn off keyboard LED before S3/S4/S5 **Solved ghost can't be Ran when USB 2.0 device is inserted.

2004-08-19
    2004/07/16
    KDA34716.zip
    1)Patch USB 2.0 storage detect will hang at POST when enable USB KB/storage support 2)Improved ROM flash speed when write MAC address. 3)Show Correct information of SATA HDD at summary 4)Solved ACPI shutdown temperature works failure.

as my mobo is brand new...I recon that I'll need the upgrade...but I'm open to advice....

Sean

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Nope, never heard of a hard drive causing a mouse to sieze. Spyware, virus, those can do what you're describing. So can a corrupted OS as well as some hardware incompatibility. CPU temp is fine so that's not a problem.

As to your list of reasons to flash the BIOS I don't get it. Where are these lines of text coming from?

8. seannannie

sorry, should have explained...these are the upgrades (modifications) that have been made to the bios since the original bios was *made*...like a patch in a game, it tells you what it's improved

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "problem" that the BIOS upgrades fix will not affect all hardware.

Again I can only suggest that you reflash the BIOS only if you really have that problem that needs correcting.

10. seannannie

kiwiguy, can you explain more.....looking at the updates:
    2004-12-15
    2004/11/30
    kda34b30.zip
    ** Patch USB device resume fail from S4 mode.
    ** Add auto option for DIMM voltage adjusts item.
    ** Add nVidia LAN boot ROM control item.
    ** Patch WinFlash shows BIOSLock string issue.
    doesn't that imply that will fix the error message I reported at the start of the post?
    Isn't it better to always keep your bios uptodate?
    I'm not being sarcastic I just want to know.

with thanks to all

Sean

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree do not flash a bios unless you are sure the update addresses a problem you are having.

Does this problem occur in safe mode as well as normal mode?

Yes, a failing hd can cause exactly the problem you describe [intermittent freezing]

12. griffinspc

griffinspc

From the description of the "nearly" freeze it seems unlikely to be the HD though I suppose anything's possible. Sean, are there any other symtoms such as sometimes it fails to boot? System or non System Error message on boot? Any bad noises from the drive? Does it re-boot on it's own? Anything?

If all you have is a near freeze and the mouse locking up I'd still investigate Spyware, etc. You can download a drive diagnostic from the drive manufacturer and of course you can run a thorough Scandisk.

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Flashing a BIOS to remove an error about flashing the BIOS, which arises when you try to flash the BIOS?

Perhaps it would fix that issue, but that is immaterial. If you don't need to flash the BIOS, you would not see the message ...

It's a circular argument.

The error rate for BIOS flash failures is several % generically, and in most cases it destroys the motherboard in an economic sense. Hence the caution.

14. seannannie

no nothing, no bad noises nothing, I have 2 hds a 6 gig one from when 6 gig was as big as you could get ! (stop laughing) and a 20 gig thats about 2 years old, both these disks have been look after and I have never had so much as a bad data block on either. I'm also virus, ad and spyware free (norton and search and destroy spyware look after that for me).

the hangs go one of 2 ways either as before a real slowdown that needs a reboot or a proper freeze. my hd has just been formatted and xp reinstalled (just upgraded mobo and cpu).

for what is worth here are my possible theories:
    1. lots of updates have been issued for the bios (infact I've never seen so many issued over a 7 month period, probably because 64bit machines are new?)
    2. faulty memory stick?
    3. the only software which now on the system that wasn't there before is norton internet security. Which I'm taking off and going back to avg. Anyone know if there are any issues with norton and 64 bit machines?

Sean

15. seannannie

problem solved...getting rid of norton has worked (after I managed to break it's iron like grip on the hd!)

thanks to all for the advice

sean

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!