1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Modems?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by smiths071, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smiths071

smiths071 Thread Starter

I am currently using a verizon DSL wireless modem router on my desk top. Now my son comes home from college and wants to play X-bOx online. I picked up a non wireless modem (verizon) for the X-Box. I've discovered that when non wireless modem is connected to X-box, the main wireless modem on desktop does not connect me to web. I want to avoid going wireless for desktop for the X-box becuase reception is poor. Is there a way to run 2 modems 1 for x-box and 1 for desktop?
    Thanks'
    s.smith

2. warrior19

warrior19

You can only use 1 DSL modem on the phone line that comes into your house. So it sounds like you have 2 DSL modems. One Wireless One Not? Hence when the router is online the x-box cannot and vice versa. What I use on my son's xbox 360 is a ethernet to wireless adapter (a cheap 11G - 11 Mbps Linksys one). X-box do an official wireless adapter but its more expensive than the DIY option.

You say wireless may not be the option as reception is poor. We can help diagnosis of wireless signal if that helps?

Or you can invest in a pair of Powerline Adapters.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XEB1004-85Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B00167D96S/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

They use the power sockets in your house and provide a fixed connection from one socket to another. You could plug one in near to the X-box and the other one near to the Verizon DSL router. You then plug the ethernet into the X-Box at one end and the ethernet into Ports 1 to 4 on the back of the Verizon DSL router. I am guessing you use one of these ports already for the Desktop PC.

Some people on this forum hate Powerline Adapters as they have issues but I have used thenm without problems for 3 years. Keep the receipts maybe!

3. warrior19

warrior19

4. smiths071

smiths071 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look into both options

Peace

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice