1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 monitors on 1 system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okeee, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

what are the requirements to use 2 monitors on 1 system?
    how does it work, do i need to install drivers?

ASUS P5Q-E - LGA775 Socket
    Corsair XMS2 - 2x2GB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3 GHz
    eVGA GeForce GTX 260
    corsair 650W
    win xp sp3

2. saikee

saikee

You need a grapgic card that supports twin monitors. That is all. The driver comes with the graphic card to enable you to use the monitor the way you wish, like an extension of a repeater.

The graphic card itself has the twin connectors. From the Internet info your current card has got it.

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

GTX 260 has 2 DVI connections. If you're using VGA (for an ancient screen) then you would need a VGA-DVA adapter. Just plug both screens in, go into the Nvidia control panel or to Display in Windows. Then you can set the screens up including the default, positions, resolutions etc

4. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

5. replay

replay

6. replay

replay

that monitor has hdmi and vga............. so u will need dvi-hdmi cable(s)

7. replay

replay

8. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Have you bought this screen yet? That is very weird it having HDMI but not DVI. What kind of modern monitor doesn't have DVI?

I can't see why that wouldn't work although I've never seen a screen connected that way. Sounds right but I'm wary of telling somebody to buy something I've never seen used before.

If it does work, it is better to use the digital input on your screen (HDMI) rather than using a DVI to VGA cable to connect it (analogue) since the image quality will be better.

9. saikee

saikee

It is quite acceptable to drive a new monitor by HDMI cable as it gives a better performance. In term of performance VGA is the lowest, then DVI and then HDMI at the top.

There are VGA to DVI, VGA to HDMI and DVI to HDMI adaptors. Just pick any one.

10. replay

replay

dvi and hdmi are both digital............ hdmi outputs audio too

11. Robsy128

Robsy128

Well judging by the graphics card, you have two DVI connections on the back of the graphics card (they should be white).
    What you need is a monitor that has a DVI connection - again, a white one on the back. You then run two cables from the graphics card to the monitors (one for each) and then make sure your graphic drivers are up to date.
    Afterwards, change the settings for your screen (right-click on the desktop and click on screen resolution) and then you change the display settings to 'extend display'. That way you can use two monitors on one PC :)

12. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

i saw a monitor that uses a DVI-D interface. i looked for cables, does a DVI-D (M) - DVI-D (M) directly connect to the video card, without any additional adapters?

about connecting hdmi to the videocard, you can 1) get a hdmi + hdmi/dvi connector, or 2) a hdmi-dvi cable. is there any difference? the hdmi-dvi cable is OEM and 7euro, but how do i know that it is good quality?

13. Robsy128

Robsy128

The connectors on the back of the graphics card should be female, so you should be fine with male DVI cables without any additional hardware :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice