1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 More questions about first build.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by levi675, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

Is CoolMax a good PSU? I need at east 400W but would like to stay below $70
    And when using the amd64 mobos, do you have to use RAID or SATA, (I'm not familiar with these), or can I use IDE connections?
    TIA guys

2. cheese

cheese

You can use IDE as long as your motherboard supports it. The good brands i know of for powersuppls are Antec and Enermax. You can get an above 400W Antec for bout 70 off newegg.

3. norton850

norton850

Never used one but from what I've read most people like Coolmax

Most motherboards have at least one IDE connector. Some also have multitype connectors that can be configured as IDE or SATA. Depends on the board. Do you have any particular one in mind?

4. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

Going with a Thermaltake 480W ($56, $70 w/ ship& warranty)
    Looking at a Abit 939pin Mobo with amd64 3400 $269 after rebate

5. cheese

cheese

Not a bad price for the CPU and motherboard... wheres this at? Itd be around 320 on newegg for the two.

6. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

7. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

Could some1 supply a link for the BASICS on RAID SATA HD connections as I think I'll have to use it with the Amd64, (used to IDE connectors)
    Thanks guys, workin on the fly here

8. norton850

norton850

Are you planning to buy SATA drives? Exactly which model Abit board are you getting? If it's the one in your link it has two IDE connectors.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can use either sata or pata [regular ide interface] I have not used an Abit 939 board yet so I do not know if the onboard sata controller needs to be set for raid or non-raid. Some boards do and some do not.

I have built two Asus A8V systems using the newer .09 chips. You might want to check out the newer chip. It runs cooler than the older .13 process chips [which the 3400 is] This system here is running at 33C while I am typing this. [And that with the stock AMD hsf]

If you are going to use sata, then you need to load the sata driver during the first part of setup. Your board should come with a driver disk on floppy or on the support cd it will have a folder that contains the "Make disk" for sata drivers.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice