2 network cards on server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

uk_techy

Hello People

I am having a slight issues configuring the 2 network cards on my server
I have a onboard network card and a additonal one and both cards have been detected on the network connections
The operating system i am running in windows serve 2012 which has the hyper v console on it, my aim is to run virtual machines on hyper v

I was told i should use one network card for the physical host and the 2nd network card for the virtual machines. Im not sure how to set this up or if i have set this up

I have created a virtual switch on hyper v and have selected which network card will be used for the virtual machines, however in network connections only one network card seems active how do i know which card is being used for the physcial or if its been used or shared with the virtual host.

This seems very confusing and i would appreciate your help

Thanks

There are some configurations (usually involving more than one server) which recommend and/or require two or more network adapters, but you don't need two nics just to be able to have network access on your VMs in Hyper-V.

When you created virtual network switch and assigned nic to it, that is the nic your VMs use for network access.

If I remember it right, depending on the options you chose:
-VMs may be on their own network (no host access or Internet);
-VMs and host;
-VMs, host, Internet.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'll be building a Hyper V server in the next few days. I'll report back when I have that done with any possible insights.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online