1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Network Cards

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mnbraga, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mnbraga

mnbraga Thread Starter

Hello and HELP!!
    I am helping a business setup a back office system. The system requires that they're pc have 2 network cards. I installed the 2nd card and everything seemed to be perfect. 1 card is dedicated to the POS system and the 2nd card is for internet. When the 1st card is enabled the 2nd card will not work and the internet goes down. The minute I disable the 1st card, the internet works again.

There is a conflict but I cannot figure it out. I tried to bridge the 2 cards as well and that did not work either.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Michelle

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Why do you need 2 network cards again?

The first one is for internet connection, and the second one is for...?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Describe the complete network, because I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. :)

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That can be common, although not necessary, with something like a Windows2003 server or where you want to have one network card connected to the Internet and the other connected to your LAN. Do you have any setup like this? For example, what exactly do you mean by "1 card is dedicated to the POS system". Is that part of your LAN?

If so, how is each card configured as to getting it's IP information? DHCP? Static?

5. mnbraga

mnbraga Thread Starter

Ok, here is how it is currently setup.

There is a PC(we'll call it GAS for lack of confusion) that is used for control and maintenance of gas pumps and in-store register systems. All the software that controls the functionality and data is housed on GAS. GAS is networked with 8 pumps and 4 registers on a 16 slot hub, GAS also has something called a "Micronode" that is used for credit cards. The Micronode is connected to a Linksys Router and uses the internet to authorize credit cards. GAS'S 16 slot hub is not allowed to have access to the internet.

There is a 2nd PC (we'll call STORE). STORE has an ethernet connection to GAS via the hub. STORE also has an ethernet connection to the Linksys Router for the internet. Required by GAS'S tech team, is the 2nd ethernet card for STORE. STORE houses all the backoffice and scanning software for the registers on GAS. This software is furnished by another company that GAS's team recommended. But GAS'S tech team sits in a building somewhere and won't help STORE'S tech team (me) get it set up!

I hope this helps.

6. frankjohn

frankjohn

Just guessing -Have you checked your IP addresses

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Exactly what I asked but so far haven't gotten the details.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

9. mnbraga

mnbraga Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to reply about the IP address. I will get the screen shot and send it in. When I changed the setting on STORE to use an IP address it still would not work. But it's possible I did it wrong and I'm willing to try again. When I went into cmd and used IPCONFIG it shows both locations perfectly. They both ping fine and this leaves me stumped. I will get the screen shot sent in around 10:15am. :eek:

10. mnbraga

mnbraga Thread Starter

Here is the screen shot of the IPCONFIG. When it's set like this, the internet will not work. Once I disable the "Gilbarco Direct Connect" it works fine!

Attached Files:

11. frankjohn

frankjohn

There are 2 things you might try -- if you have a firewall by pass it and see if this makes a diff. 2nd if you call 1 computer [main] on the 2nd change the last # on the ip address to 102 and check

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you post the results of IPCONFIG /ALL. Too much is left out just from IPCONFIG alone.

Can you give the details for what network adapter is connect to what device and how that device is configured.

13. mnbraga

mnbraga Thread Starter

Here is the IP ALL screen

Attached Files:

• ip.JPG
      ip.JPG
      File size:
      67.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you give any information as to why the network card with the 192.168.1.101 IP address has those particular DNS server settings?

Regarding the first post, which is refered to as the first network card and which the second?

If network card is being used to connect to the Internet and the other to your LAN, does the Internet work when both are connected?

If that is the case, how are you sharing the Internet connection? Do you have a proxy server configured?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Like Bob I do not understand which card is first and which second. But if multiple Gateways are given Windows will use as default the nominally faster one. To make sure that your internet connection works you should NOT have a Gateway specified for the other connection.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice