Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Network Cards

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  mnbraga 
#1 ·
Hello and HELP!!
I am helping a business setup a back office system. The system requires that they're pc have 2 network cards. I installed the 2nd card and everything seemed to be perfect. 1 card is dedicated to the POS system and the 2nd card is for internet. When the 1st card is enabled the 2nd card will not work and the internet goes down. The minute I disable the 1st card, the internet works again.

There is a conflict but I cannot figure it out. I tried to bridge the 2 cards as well and that did not work either.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Michelle

#4 ·
That can be common, although not necessary, with something like a Windows2003 server or where you want to have one network card connected to the Internet and the other connected to your LAN. Do you have any setup like this? For example, what exactly do you mean by "1 card is dedicated to the POS system". Is that part of your LAN?

If so, how is each card configured as to getting it's IP information? DHCP? Static?

#5 ·
Ok, here is how it is currently setup.

There is a PC(we'll call it GAS for lack of confusion) that is used for control and maintenance of gas pumps and in-store register systems. All the software that controls the functionality and data is housed on GAS. GAS is networked with 8 pumps and 4 registers on a 16 slot hub, GAS also has something called a "Micronode" that is used for credit cards. The Micronode is connected to a Linksys Router and uses the internet to authorize credit cards. GAS'S 16 slot hub is not allowed to have access to the internet.

There is a 2nd PC (we'll call STORE). STORE has an ethernet connection to GAS via the hub. STORE also has an ethernet connection to the Linksys Router for the internet. Required by GAS'S tech team, is the 2nd ethernet card for STORE. STORE houses all the backoffice and scanning software for the registers on GAS. This software is furnished by another company that GAS's team recommended. But GAS'S tech team sits in a building somewhere and won't help STORE'S tech team (me) get it set up!

I hope this helps.

#8 ·
Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

#9 ·
Sorry, I forgot to reply about the IP address. I will get the screen shot and send it in. When I changed the setting on STORE to use an IP address it still would not work. But it's possible I did it wrong and I'm willing to try again. When I went into cmd and used IPCONFIG it shows both locations perfectly. They both ping fine and this leaves me stumped. I will get the screen shot sent in around 10:15am. :eek:

#14 ·
Can you give any information as to why the network card with the 192.168.1.101 IP address has those particular DNS server settings?

Regarding the first post, which is refered to as the first network card and which the second?

If network card is being used to connect to the Internet and the other to your LAN, does the Internet work when both are connected?

If that is the case, how are you sharing the Internet connection? Do you have a proxy server configured?

#15 ·
Like Bob I do not understand which card is first and which second. But if multiple Gateways are given Windows will use as default the nominally faster one. To make sure that your internet connection works you should NOT have a Gateway specified for the other connection.

#16 ·
Ok, I'll try to answer to the best of my limited knowledge.

1.) The DNS server settings were changed originally by the software man trying to help me. It did not work before these changes were made...nor did it work after :-(

2.) I'm not sure which is the first and second. I would consider the "internet connection (STORE)" to be the first, only because it was already in place before I installed the other card. Probably not the way it works right?

3.) When both cards are connected, the internet does not work.

4.) The internet does not need to be shared with the LAN. The LAN does not need any internet access. There is no proxy server configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.