1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 NT Questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kato, Oct 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kato

kato Thread Starter

Hi,

Couple of NT questions I really need help with:

1) How do I change what programs startup when NT starts up? There were a couple of programs I had set to start when NT was started, and they've since been removed from my computer. Now I get annoying error messages. How do I get NT to stop trying to start them automatically upon starting up?

2) Is there a way to change the name of drives? My hard drive is partitioned - there was originally the C and D drives. I just installed a zip drive, and it has somehow become the D drive (D is now F). So, every time I try to run something (from a shortcut or the start menu) that used to be in D, it can't be found. I figure the easiest way to fix this would be to just change the name of the drive back to D. If there's a way, that is...

Thanks!

2. murkey

murkey

Kato,

1) what is your email? I will send you an attachment to solve this one. Then put the files in the following folder: c:\<i>%windows root directory%</i>\system

ie if you are running NT most likely path is <b>c:\winnt\system</b>

Then choose START=>RUN and type msconfig then hit enter. Here you can specify what starts up. Be careful though, there is a lot that can harm your system in here too.

2) I am trying to remember for NT, as I am on 2000, but here goes....I believe it is in the following - START=>PROGRAMS=>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS=>DISK ADMIN (i think, I could tell you if I had it in front of me:D). Here you can change drive letters, repartition, whatever you want. Just right click on the partition and choose your poison....

Hope this helps......

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/56135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice