2 NTFS PCs, 1 FAT32 Laptop-can't see each other...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pcslave

I have had 2 PCs networked via a Wired (Brand) Router connected to a Cable Modem for some time.
I added a Wireless Laptop and Belkin Wireless Router.
The Wired Router and Wireless Router are connected together via LAN Cable.
The Wired router has an Uplink button, that I have pressed to connect to the Wireless Router.
The Wireless Router sees the Internet OK, and I have a TiVo connected to the Internet via the Wireless Router also.
Would the cable be an issue, as the Laptop and the TiVo can see the internet with no problem.
I want to share/print via the Wireless Router, but the two PCs do not see the TiVo or Laptop and vise versa.
I found the 2 PCs to be on NTFS and the Laptop to be FAT32.
I'm pretty sure the file systems are not compatable, but I just want to make sure.
Sounds pretty confusing, I know.

Any suggestions?

forget about file systems as they have nothign to do with the scenario. I have a feeling the biggest problem is the fact you got a wireless router and hooked that up to a wired router.

Here is what I would do... undo that uplink button on the wired router. I would then look into the Wireless router and see if it has a setting to be set as a wireless access point. Also make sure to turn off DHCP on the second wireless router as well.

The problem sounds like you have created 2 individual networks by hooking up 2 routers.

TerryNet

Terry
In addition to StumpedTechy's info, I'm guessing that the way you have created two separate subnets is by connecting the wired router to the WAN (or Internet or Modem) port of the wireless router. Search for one of JohnWill's near daily posts on connecting two SOHO broadband routers.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online