1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Operating Systems of XP???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by payback, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. payback

payback Thread Starter

Please help me out here. I recently reformatted my machine and for some reason the first time i put in the recovery cd to reformat it installed windows instead of reformat. Then I put the cd in a second time and my computer was reformatted and installed windows a second time. So when i start up my computer it gives me a choice to start one of two operating systems of windows xp. Any ideas on how i can get rid one version without reformatting again. It is annoying having to choose one version every time. If you need more info or a better explanation just say so and i'll try my best. Thanks

2. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

How to edit the boot.ini
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file after adding another partition running Windows 2000 Professional.
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

The example above is similar to what you'll see. Delete the last line

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect <== Delete

3. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

Wont by doing that keep all the partition infomation that the second os installed. Can you delete this in the first OS

4. payback

payback Thread Starter

Will deleting this second operating system delete everything that is saved with it as well? such as my documents and the things that are saved on the desktop? or will it only delete the operating system and nothing more?

Also what should the computers temperature be at for normal operation?

Thanks

5. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

By removing that line it will simply remove the option to boot to that copy of windows. All files that were put there by that copy of windows will still be there.

NOTE: Be sure to back up your boot.ini in case it doesn't give you the desired result or if you change your mind. ;)

6. payback

payback Thread Starter

you guys are so much help :) but what is does this mean? /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

7. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

/fastdetect:comnumber
    This switch turns off serial and bus mouse detection in the Ntdetect.com file for the specified port. Use this switch if you have a component other than a mouse that is attached to a serial port during the startup process. For example, type /fastdetect:comnumber, where number is the number of the serial port. Ports may be separated with commas to turn off more than one port. If you use /fastdetect, and you do not specify a communications port, serial mouse detection is turned off on all communications ports.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833721

/NoExecute=OptIn
    This switch is for DEP (data execution prevention)

Description: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875352

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice