1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 operating systems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rangerslim, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rangerslim

Rangerslim Thread Starter

I have an IBM Net Vista which crashed on me during a Winxp (Home Edition) recovery. It was a motherboard problem which IBM fixed. However my PC would not load XP completely and just froze when I booted.They are going to send me a recovery disk, but can not find one in Canada and are looking in the U.S. for one. My own "fix" was to put a Win XP Pro version on and finish the original Home Edition install from the I386 file. This worked (So far anyway) but I now have two O/S on my PC. How do I uninstall the Win XP Pro and also, will my Home Edition operate properly doing the install this way. I have tried installing Norton System Works 2003 but when I install, Win XP will not shut down. If I do a system restore everything is fine.
    Any ideas on how I can get back to my original Home Edition O/S. I'm not sure when IBM will get me a recovery disk, but I need my computer up and running ASAP for my home business.
    Any suggetsions on how I can install my original version of Win XP Home properly. I did not receive a Win XP disk with my computer (it was a pre-load) and the Win XP pro version should not be on my system.
    Any suggetsions?

2. tnik

tnik

unless you have a XP home cd, your not going to be able to repair it, just use XP pro untill HP get's off their butts and sends you your restore cd.. thats what is bad about these pre-loads, they save money because they don't have to buy CD's from microsoft, but the customer gets stuck with these P.O.S. restore CD's..

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the next time you buy a PC, I'd suggest you make sure they have a real CD included. :)

When you get this thing running and properly configured, I'd recommend a good image program like Norton GHOST. Make an image of the boot volume so you can quickly restore a working version when this happens again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/157336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice