1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 operating systems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by durant125, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. durant125

durant125 Thread Starter

I reinstalled windows xp pro. Now everytime I start my computer it shows Windows XP on there twice and has me choose one. Plus I think my computer maybe running a little slower because of this. How do I get rid of the one I dont need?

2. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

You will need to edit boot.ini and remove the additional entry.

Your boot.ini will look similar to this one

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Check the default (e.g default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS) and delete the other entry. In above case (default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)PARTITION(2)\WINDOWS)

NOTE: Make a back up of your boot.ini prior to make changes. Making the incorrect changes will prevent your system to boot to windows.
    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022

To view and edit the Boot.ini file:

In Control Panel, start the Performance and Maintenance tool, and then click System.
    On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    Under System Startup, click Edit.

3. durant125

durant125 Thread Starter

thanks
    That was pretty simple. Startup still takes a lot longer though. I was wondering if it might have anything to do with the local drive I chose. My local drive is D: instead of C:. I chose that one because it has more space. C is 8gb and D is 27gb. Should I choose to C instead would that make startup quicker? If so, how would I go about doin that?

4. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

I think slow boot process has to do more with the startup group items.

Test the system by booting in safe mode. If the system boots much faster in safe mode, then use use msconfig to disable 3rd party apps at boot. Also clear up the prefetch folder.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/267449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice