1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 operating systems...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PODNickerz, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PODNickerz

PODNickerz Thread Starter

Well, my question is just that if i were to install 2 operating systems on my computer, how would i do it? would i just install the new one and press f8 or something at the computer start up to switch between them?

2. PODNickerz

and just in case u need to know. the current one is windows 2000 and the one i going to install is xp pro :)
    I know i should just install one but just dont ask :D

3. rawmeat

rawmeat

I have not done this with XP, but it should work the same as before. As long as the older OS (win2k) is installed first, then you simply install the XP to a new folder (not winnt) and it will create the boot.ini file with both entries. The default entry will be XP and the time to choose should default to 30 seconds (changeable). When you boot up, you will be presented with a DOS screen with probably 4 choices (XP, XP with safe video, 2k and 2k with video option). The default is highlighted and the up/down arrows change the selection. Once the selection is changed, the timer is off and you must press enter to select the highlighted OS.

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Rawmeat is right on the money again, but I would add one caveat, which is that if you are going to install such similar OS's (w2K is NT5 and XP is is NT5.1) on the same machine its best to do so on seperate partitions of your hard drive.

5. PODNickerz

how would i do that and would i still beable to access the same files i have on my computer with xp without installing them all over again?

6. PODNickerz

7. vijayr

vijayr

Hi,

Use a third party tool like partiton magic 5.0 or above to partiton your hdd

make two primary partitons and remaning logical partitons as u need

then hide one primary partiton , making the other active

now install a software called as 'boot loader' or any other software the helps u to load multiple os's
    i would preffer XOSL - it is given in many mag cd's or you can search for 'xosl or guert vous - xosl'

in the xosl - extended os loader u can add the pri partitons u want to boot from
    now select the active primary partiton

now install the new os reboot and boot from the other pri partiton and install a new os

i have about four os on my system
    winme
    win2k
    linux
    winxp

try it
    its fun

and u can share the data from all the partions

byr
    vij

8. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

If you are just installing W2K and XP, and have no plans to triple boot with something else, you can just use the boot loader that XP will install automatically when you install it to the second hard drive. You also don't need to make that second partition active as XP will put its boot files onto C along with W2K's.

9. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, I have a dual operating system and the XP install disk does it all for you it it is the last system you install. I think it starts off giving you 30 seconds to chose which system you want but that is easily fixed once you start using XP. I changed mine to 3 seconds as I usually use XP.

I installed it to a separate drive and it made the boot up menu and worked out where to install the system.

I understand that if you install as a new system on the same disk as your old OS it will partition the disk for you and install XP on the new partition. Of course it will have to ask you a couple of questions on the way but only easy ones such as how much space to make the new partition etc.

I was surprised how easy it made the whole operation.

I did have some trouble but that was with my CD Rom and had maybe 4 or 5 false starts. I then copied the CD to my hard disc and whoosh away she went like a bolt out of the blue. love Mal

10. PODNickerz

So your saying, i make one new partition, which all together is 2 partitions and then i stall xp on the new one and the 2 os can automatically share the files?

11. mal1930

mal1930

HI, Unfortunately not quite right. The CD will install the XP system and the dual boot menu for you but you will need to reinstall all your programs into XP before they will work.

You can install them into the old folders and yes there is no need for two copies of the program but unless you install them again XP will not have the registry items it need to open them. they would also not be in your start menu.

I had a lot of programs in Win98 that I no longer used and only installed the ones I wanted to use in XP something like a dozen or so compared to hundreds in the old system.

If you upgrade over the old system then Xp would not need the programs to be installed again.

If you have a dual boot system each one is really separate and whilst it is possible to install the programs to your old folder it will not work with such programs as Norton Systemworks which would require different info for each system.

Why not do it my way and just install the programs you are using at the present or in the future. You must have some you have not looked at for ages.

Do a Google search for installing XP, I learned how to do it and how easy it was from them. I think Windows Mag had an article. ZD net will have one too. love Mal

12. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Also, just to add a little caveat to what mal said, you would definitely want install W2K first on the system and XP second. It can cause problems if you do it the other way round.

13. mal1930

mal1930

HI, I agree with you although I have no experience myself, I have read where XP has to be the last OS installed. love Mal

14. PODNickerz

Ok, thanks guys n' gals ;)

Oh and mal, i love you too! :D

15. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, Thanks for loving me, I belonged to forums where there are few men and just got into the habit of adding love to my signature. Sometimes habits are hard to break and anyway there is not enough love in the world anyway.

About installing programs if you get a new program and want to use it on both systems you will have to install it on each one separately.

I only use XP now but if I ever want to use my scanner I will need Win98 other wise I would just stick to XP.

The programs on Win98 were mostly games for my grand kids who are now to old to bother with them anyway. love Mal

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/77575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice