1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 PCs, 1 Laptop, HiSpeed Cable, Vonage phone

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Herrlow, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Herrlow

Herrlow Thread Starter

Goal: A way to utilize my Comcast cable Hi-Speed Broadband internet connection with: 1) two PCs (one upstairs, one downstairs - opposite ends of house); 2) laptop w/built in wireless; and 3) Vonage broadband phone.

Specifics:
    Upstairs PC has Windows XP Pro, no wireless network adaptor
    Downstairs PC has Windows XP Home, no wireless network adaptor
    Laptop (HP) w/802.11g wireless built in
    Hi-Speed cable connection currently located on upstairs PC, along with Vonage modem

What would be the best way to accomplish my goal without compromising performance, speed, etc.? What specific recommendations for equipment do I need?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A router, an ethernet switch and ethernet cables to reach each PC.

Note that many routers include an ethernet switch.

Does your Vonage modem include a router?

If it were me I'd probably be willing to sacrifice some performance and speed by getting a wireless router and often connecting the laptop via wireless, and maybe even getting a wireless adapter for the remote computer.

3. Herrlow

Herrlow Thread Starter

Vonage has it's on Linksys router.
    The 2 PCs are too far apart for me to connect ethernet cables from each (one is upstairs, one downstairs, both on opposite ends of the house). That's why I thought about wireless, but I'm thinking the distance will be a problem..?
    Are you saying just one router for both PCs? What's the ethernet switch all about?

4. jmwills

jmwills

Distance within the same house should not be a problem. A switch is a physical extention of the router allowing multiple wired connections.

You will have to connect one of the machines directly to the router to begin with in order to configure it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice