1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 PCs, 2 Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NLZ, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NLZ

NLZ Thread Starter

Hello! Glad to have found this forum.

Just yesterday I switched 1 of my computers back to XP from Windows 7 and formatted the other from XP to XP in hopes to get better performance out of them (they're the least powerful PC's I own). I installed:

Windows XP Professional - SP3 (5.1 2600) for my laptop (Gateway NV53).
    &
    Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PC's for my oldest desktop (Compaq Presario S3300NX).

I've encountered very frustrating problems with them both.

First with the Gateway NV53, I'm unable to connect to the Internet. I can't set up a local area connection or anything. I'm getting messages that my network adapter isn't being detected (worked fine on Win7). I've tried a lot of stuff from the official Microsoft website, nothing worked. I tried adding hardware, nothing to be found (with and without CD). No idea why this is, but I've been at it for a while now trying to figure out to no avail.

Now on my ancient Compaq desktop that is running Fundamentals, I'm having trouble getting taskmanager to work. I'm starting to think it wasn't installed with this package (why?)? I've tried running taskmgr.exe, didn't work. I've tried what numerous websites recommended to try (although it's hard to find people using this Legacy OS). I've even tried third-party programs such as Process Tamer to manage my processes (along with 2 other programs similar), and oddly enough it doesn't even load! I'll hit ctrl+alt+del, takes me to login screen I'll click Task Manager and nothing. I'm being prevented from gaining access to the task manager, seems like a simple fix just I'm missing something, hopefully.

2. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

On the Gateway website, I looked up drivers for your computer.. Looks to me like it only has drivers for Win 7. Hope you have a way to go back to W7. Unless you find drivers for each component (for xp) on the MOBO somewhere you are stuck.
    You can probably install ubuntu or mint (linux).

As for the other computer, cant help you.

3. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Just some more information here: Windows 7 actually has better memory management and handling and is designed to run on less requirements than XP. You would actually have better performance with Win7. I would try maxing out the RAM on the Gateway while having Windows 7 on it.

I'm unsure with Fundamentals.

4. Maverickz

Maverickz

Why do you say this? Windows 7 listed requires are 1 GHz processor and 2 GB ram, while XP only requires a 300 MHz processor and 128 MB ram. I think you might be confused with Vista requirements which while they are actualy listed the same as Win 7 the performance on those requirement was not good.

In my experience a Win 7 machine with 2 GB ram is roughly equal to a Win XP machine with 1GB as far as memory use and availability.

SOURCES:
    Win 7 Requirements:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

Win XP Requirements:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865

5. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Though their recommendations state minimums, I have seen Windows 7 run on a Pentium III processor and 500MB of RAM. It ran faster on Windows 7 than on XP. The memory management has been greatly increased.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463005

Not to mention that running XP, you are running out of time on support.

6. NLZ

NLZ Thread Starter

I have XP installed though... so how wouldn't it support it?

7. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

It takes special drivers for each Microsoft operating system. Or at least compatible ones. If none are listed on the website, the maker of the computer isnt supporting that operating system. They probably wont be of any help.
    Just because it installed isnt a sure fire test, there has to be drivers. (drivers are for hardware-chips on the MOBO or video cards etc.)
    Now you may Google all over the net for drivers and have luck. Somewhere somebody may have found/created drivers for that system to work on XP.
    Some of the Win7 drivers may even work to some degree. But usually not very good.
    Like taking a Ford motor and trying to put it in a Volvo. There may be adapters or maybe not. You find the (drivers or adapters) for a change-over BEFORE you tear it apart (put a different operating system on it)
    Good luck on the search.

8. NLZ

NLZ Thread Starter

Unbelievable, lol. My laptop came with 7 pre-installed, I assumed it would be Windows XP compatible as well (my 2001 PC can be Win7 compatible but my newer PC can't be XP compatible? sigh).

Nobody knows how to get task manager to work for Fundamentals Legacy OS?

9. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Unfortunately that is how it works in the Windows world. Only some PCs cannot be backwards compatible, it is all dependant on the manufacturer and how much they want to keep supporting. You have to remember that XP is now almost a 12 year old OS. That is VERY old.

Try posting your Fundamentals issue on this board: http://forums.techguy.org/20-earlier-versions-windows/

10. Maverickz

Maverickz

Hardware Divers oddly enough tend to be more forward compatible that backwards. When MS puts out Windows 8 the hardware manufacturer will more than likely update the drivers to support that, than they will go back and write drivers for Win XP. I guess the thought process that people are more likely to upgrade than downgrade...and really until Vista came out that has been true.

All of that said XP has to a degree been the exception to the rule because of the nightmare that was Vista. If you can determine the manufacturer and model number of all of your hardware components (there are a lot of tools for this) you may can find XP drivers on the manufacturers websites.

11. NLZ

NLZ Thread Starter

Hypothetically if I were to find drivers for this PC, would I have to burn them to a CD/DVD? Wouldn't it be an .exe. file though? I've never done anything like this before.

12. Maverickz

Maverickz

You probably don't need to burn all of them to CD/DVD (can also use thumb drive) but at a minimum, I would make sure you have video drivers and network card drivers. Those two should get you access to the internet to download the rest (assuming you found them in advance).

13. NLZ

NLZ Thread Starter

Not sure I follow? What do you mean make sure I have the drivers?

14. Maverickz

Maverickz

Download the proper video and network drivers for XP and either burn them to a CD or put them on a thumb drive, before installing xp.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!