1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 PC's on a cable network WITHOUT using a router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by emac921, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emac921

    emac921 Thread Starter

    Mar 13, 2001
    Merry Xmas all. . I am now on a dial-up system with a ethernet hookup using 2 PC's. I want to go back to a cable ISP, but DO NOT
    want to use a router, because I end up with a private IP address
    for each PC.

    My wife needs a public IP address for her business use without a firewall.

    Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? The router I am using is a Linksys 4 port, BEFSR41.

    We are still hooked up to the lan ports of the router; me on lan 1
    and my wife on lan 3. This is for sharing the printer only.

    I have tryed to use ethernet cable only without the router, hub or switch, but it won't work, so I just keep the router hooked up so at least the lan still works.

    The dial-up is really lousy, so I want to go back to cable if I can.

    Comments please. . I need all the complete info I can get.


  2. Alex Ethridge

    Alex Ethridge

    Apr 10, 2000
    To connect the two computers without a hub or router, you will need what is known as a crossover cable. If you have a cable connection to the internet that already has its own ethernet card, you will, of course, need two ethernet cards in that machine--one to the other computer and one to the cable modem.
  3. sifter


    Jul 19, 2001
    Iam on DSL and got 2 PCs on the net at the same time..........The way I done it is 2 Net work cards in my main PC and one in the other........Ensure first that the main PC is connected to the internet and it is working fine..Next make sure that the 2 PC are Talking to each other.......Once done you nead to .......In fact first i need to no what Operating System you are using.........I use Internet connection Sharing and both my PC are Win_98 SE ....Try this link for advice and post back your details........



  4. rugrat


    Dec 16, 2001
    Alex is correct about the crossover. It is a must without a hub. Get that cable and follow sifters links to set up ICS. You will need 2 nic cards in the primary machine. One for the cable connection and one for your LAN connection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62860

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice