1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 printers, 1 computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SLM302002, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SLM302002

SLM302002 Thread Starter

Does anyone know if you can connect 2 printers to one computer? My dad owns a company that uses 11x16" maps. They have been getting them through the state through the mail. Well, the state decided their not doing that anymore. They're going to email them. So in order for the company to print the maps, they need one of those larger paper size printers. Well, the payroll is done on an older dot-matrix continuous feed printer and they don't want to get rid of it if they don't have to. So he asked me if there was a way that I could connect 2 printers to the only computer that they have. (this was the same one that i had the modem question about).
    Sooo, does anyone know if I can do this and how?

2. slipe

slipe

If it has USB ports no problem at all. I take it the dot matrix printer is hooked to the LPT printer parallel port. It can be a pain to share two printers on the LPT port but it can be done with a switch. But one LPT and one USB printer or else two USBs is no hassle.

If there are USB connections there is no problem at all. One will be the default printer and the other will have to be selected from the printer box that appears when you select File>Print. The new USB printer would install normally.

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

If one of the printers is a laser, do not use a switch box, it'll destroy it.

4. leonvdm

leonvdm

Add a second printer card. They are cheap and are picked up by the operating system with the next reboot. Then install the 2nd printer using that lpt:

Easy.
    My scanner runs off lpt1: and my printer off lpt2: Has been like tat for 3 years and no problems.

Second suggestion is a switchbox. The Dot matrix iss no problem and will run like a charm. If the 2nd one is also a dot matrix or bubble jet no problem.

If the 2nd one is a laser go for tyhe second lpt card

5. slipe

slipe

It is hard to get a decent inkjet printer anymore that doesn’t have USB connection capability. My wide carriage Canon S9000 hooks up only with USB, and that would be fine for maps. With USB you just plug it in and install the software. No cards or switches. I use my HP 930 for normal text and it is hooked up parallel. Both installations were normal and there was no extra setup for having two printers except to designate the HP as default.

If you get a wide carriage color laser with parallel connections you want the LPT card. Or if you are spending that kind of money go first class and get one with built in ethernet. But at the price of a wide carriage color laser printer you wouldn’t notice the price difference that much to just buy an inexpensive computer to run it. Wide carriage color laser printers are pricey - like about $3500 for a base model.

Breakeven on ink costs with a color laser would be in the neighborhood of a few hundred thousand color maps if you used the Canon with factory ink. Canons are the most frugal on ink of the major inkjets and there are separate tanks. If you refill the Canon tanks or use a continuous inking system the inkjet is just as frugal as a laser. Of course if you intend printing large numbers of maps the speed and reliability of a laser has to be considered in a business environment.

The S9000 is 3 times as fast as its nearest inkjet competitor. Very important in a business environment – especially if your dad has an older computer that gets jerky multitasking while printing. The S9000 does borderless up to 8 ½ inch widths, but above that it has a very thin border. It prints up to 13 inch widths with a slim border. If you need borderless look at the Epson 2200. It is much slower and pricier, but prints borderless up to 13 inches. It also will hold flat and roll paper at the same time and has a built in cutter for the roll paper. Excellent printer but $200 or so more than the S9000.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice