2 problems: removal of HD from boot order (rarely) and video

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KnightofniDK

Problem number 1)
Every once in a blue moon my computer decide to change the boot order of my hard drives, so that the one with my OS is not included. The fix is simple; I go into the BIOS setting and add it back on top of the list. But it is quite annoying (especially if it happens for my girlfriend, who does not know how to fix it).
I have been unable to find any patterns to when it happens. It happens very rarely, maybe once every two months, but other times it does it twice a week.

Problem number 2)
This problem appeared together with the upgrade to windows 10 (from Windows 7). Once in a while, at least once per week, I start my computer and it is unable to play any kind of videos. On Youtube, it appears to load the video/commercial but does not move beyond 0.00. Same with VLC player, or any other players I have tried. Additionally, steam is unable to launch.
When I try to restart or turn off the computer, it appear to shut windows down normally, but it never turns of the power and I have to kill it by force.

Any help it appreciated.

My setup:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge
  • Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
  • Hard drive 1: OCZ Vertex 4 SSD - 256 GB
  • Hard drive 2: Western Digital WD Green WD7500AADS 750GB
  • Hard drive 3 (by USB): Hitachi 1TB HDS 721010
  • RAM: 4xCorsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650HXEU
  • Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 6900
  • Cabinet: Lian Li PC-8A

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There are on the Asus site Intel drivers
Chipset drivers and a SATA controller driver recently issued for Windows 10
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

There is also a VGA driver but as you are using the AMD9000 series card and the driver is for the integrated graphics that will be of little concern to you.

There are three main reasons for the situation with the boot priority order of hard disk priority been changed
It is NOT a windows issue, as of course this is in the firmware and outside of control of windows
1. BIOS faulty will not retain settings
2. Is time and date correct in BIOS if computer is left powered off and mains power disconnected
3. BIOS detects error on disk or controller and order is changed

Returning to the actual drives on that motherboard some SATA ports are controlled from the Intel chipset hence my mention of the driver above
and some from the ASMedia chip - which is the SATA driver aforementioned

Intel® Z77 chipset : 2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller : *62 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

I would check
1. Time and date settings
2. I would if those are in order install drivers as mentioned and check
3. I would of course check carefully connections to the OCZ if the SATA leads are not the clip sort they are so easily partially dislodged

I think this issue MUST be addressed before we proceed to issue 2

KnightofniDK

Thank you for your quick response.

I have now performed the steps you suggested. Date and time was correct and I updated the Chipset and SATA drivers from the link you provided. The SATA and power cables were firmly secure on the OCZ.

As I have been unable to reproduce the error, I cannot really check if it worked. But I can hope :)

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK
Re date and time
Is time and date correct in BIOS if computer is left powered off and mains power disconnected
if it is by chance a flat CMOS battery it should show if left overnight

Please post back on this topic if it is still open, as soon as the error occurs again
Please mark it solved by clicking the mark solved button on your post
Should the error come back, please mark unsolved and post on it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online