1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 psu's 1 for the system 1 for the gpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kevy214, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kevy214

Kevy214 Thread Starter

ok...i just bought a new computer.....and i used my old graphics card.....7800 gtx...it is pci-e...there is a power plug in that is supposed to be in the power supply...the card asks for atleast a 400 watt powersupply but the new comp...only came with a 300...my question is if i can take the old power supply....a 350....and run that one only from teh graphics card...other wise that my adapter and plug it into the graphics card....one reason i dont know if it is safe is if it is grounded correctly.....it my sound stupid but i dont want to buy another...And question 2 is if i do have to buy another psu....are they all the same size?....

sorry if it is confusing....it was the best way to put it

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if your new machine is a generic model, the P/S should be a standard size. You do NOT want to try to use two power supplies, buy one 500W (or better) supply, and make sure you don't buy one of hte $20 models. :)

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

4. JohnWill

Synchronizing two supplies properly would be a nightmare unless they were designed for the task. I think we're a ways from needing dual supplies. :)

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

JW, you may be correct, however when ATX version 2.2 was adopted in 2003/2004 all it provided for was the 24 pin mainboard connector to support PCI-e.

Now we're using the extra power on the PCI-e buss, plus 1 or 2 additional connectors. Where it will all end, who knows. :)

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

7. JohnWill

I see they've tapped off the main supply for sensing when to power this one. It's really a different way to package more power.

One issue here is the lack of proper cooling. You'd be either pushing hot air out the front of the case (probably not all that desirable), or putting it into the case (definitely not that desirable!). I'm not all that impressed. :) I'd much rather have a proper single P/S.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice