1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 pt. Q.. Can I fix these problems myself?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by buttfly, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buttfly

buttfly Thread Starter

Hi, I'm Julia. After searching this forum I found a few possible solutions to one of my problems. But since both my problems came from what was supposed to fix my computer in the first place I thought I'm better safe than sorry to make sure I know exactly what I ought to do.

It's an IBM ThinkPad R40 laptop, but I'm not sure how many of the components are the original ones it came with.

My first problem is that when I tried to install XP SP3 (from the Microsoft site), my computer didn't take too well to it.. any time I would reboot it would say that the installation had been completed, and then asked something about customizing preferences I think. But I saw that it still didn't say "SP3" on the menu when right clicking on My Computer/ Properties, so during one of the times when I went to restart the computer, when it turned back on it gave me an error saying it couldn't read one or all of the drives or something like that, preventing Windows from loading then.

I think I had my Kaspersky Antivirus program running on it while I was trying to install SP3 in case that could have had anything to do with it.

My second problem is, that in doing something or other in BIOS (I know, I shoulda just read about precautions with that beforehand) trying to get Windows to start, when I restarted the computer I got an 1802 error saying that I had an unauthorized network card and that I should remove the card etc. I think that what I did was reset BIOS to its default settings that made the error happen.

I read the Wiki 1802 error help page, and I think the most practical of its suggestions in my situation would be to do the pin 20 thing, I think something about putting a piece of tape over part of the pci card but I don't remember right off.

So... if I am to disassemble my laptop, remove the pci card and do that stuff it says in the article to it, will my laptop explode on me? I am learning that theres always a next worse thing that can happen. lol.

If that works, to where I can get to the next error screen then (that says Windows can't load because the computer can't read the drives or whatever), then is there anything I can do to get Windows to start working again? And would there be any way I can get XP3 to install onto it the right way, so that I can use important programs that will only work if XP3 is on it?

I would appreciate it so much if there's any right solutions anyone can give me with this!

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im guessing this laptop is getting old as i had an R 52 and an R 60.Your laptop isnt going to explode. However motherboards can get fried if something isnt done right. I would suggest if you dont know what you are doing or dont feel comfortable trying to fix it your self take it to someone and let them see what the problem is and what needs to be done to make it work properly.It only takes one wrong move to render a computer useless forever.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice