1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Questions...1st XP networking Q, 2nd...no category just a wierd Problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drolith, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drolith

Drolith Thread Starter

1st question of mine is about XP networking...ok I got 2 computers that both have XP Pro and I'm trying to network them using a Crossover cable *no router/hub...that will change soon* and I'm using the software that came with the XP O/S but I can never get the file sharing to work..and now my internet sharing isn't working...! I am doing everything right.
    I get on my host comp do the gay little wizard to set it as the gateway comp yada yada yada...do the client comp making it with the right settings a client comp should have and yada yada yada.
    So right now my client comp see's the gateway and shows it in the network connections...and it shows the little connection screen in the bottom and sais its sending/receiving bites...but I cant' search the web...or connect to anything.

BTW I had internet sharing working it just stoped out of the blue..and I have no firewalls one either no zonealarm and none of the built in ones that come with the microblows O/S.and I did get filesharing to work ONE TIME...so I know its possable but its just not working...and I don't think my computers can see each other on the network...anway its a networking mess just tell me how to get file sharing/internet sharing to work and I"ll be good.

OK NOW MY 2ND and even harder to answer problem. My computer I am calling my Client computer is home built and runs all good except one annoying little thing...when I try to turn it on for the first time each morning....it 95% wont POST just sits there with all my fans running till I hold the power button to shut it down and turn it back on...then it POST's fine. This MOBO btw is a SOYO KT400 Ultra Dragon Platinum Editions (already RMAed it once they repaired it and sent it back). So they may not have FULLY fixed the thing...if you have an answer for this I"d be glad to hear it thx!

2. ChristinaS

ChristinaS

Ok, since I just spent well over 2 days networking my own computers together, I can tell ya that it's easiest with a router. I bought a NetGear router from best buy for 40 bux on the second day, and both my pc's connect at 100mbps. Here's the reason why, when you share an internet connection such as cable with a direct connection such as you are trying, you are sharing the IP address, which means that if you're on say http://forums.techguy.org on computer A, then you won't be able to surf using computer B until you shut down computer A, unless you've contacted your ISP and are paying (usually) an extra $10.00 or so for a "Network Connection".

With a router your cloning your IP address to share the connection and the IP address would be something like: Computer A: 000.000.00.0.1 and Computer B: 000.000.00.0.2

As for file sharing, I am not sure what the problem is there, I haven't gotten mine to work as of yet since I blew the PS/2 k/b port and have to get new ones. I hope someone can help you so I don't have to try to figure that out on my own! LOL.

Good Luck!
    Christina

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

On the computer that's not posting when you turn it on, the power supply is most likely undersized. On the networked PC's, you don't need to use the wizard to set up sharing. I recommend you don't. Set up your network by giving each PC a valid IP address with the same subnet and workgroup. From there, you'll need a account with the same name and password on both PC's in order to allow them to share files. Make sure the built in firewall is disabled on the connection between the two. Lastly, pick which folders you want to share, right click on them, choose sharing and set the permissions.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The reason the second computer post sometimes and not all the time, is because when you first turn it on, it uses more power in order to initiallize the drives than it would in normal operation. If the board isn't getting enough voltage/amperage for the motherboard itself, everything will light up and spin, but the board wont post. Adding a stonger power supply should fix the problem.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

6. Drolith

Drolith Thread Starter

you guys rule!Thanks for all the responses so fast.
    I'm at school so I'll have to try the networking answers later *will probably go to wal-mart and get a linksys router/hub*.

my power supply is a Antec True 430W, let me list my parts:
    Soyo KT400 Ultra Dragon Platinum edition
    FX 5200p
    Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
    Thermaltake volcano 11 Xaser.
    5 Fans (in the thermaltake and the on-board south bridge fan..I also have 2 others but I unplugged those thinking that might fix my problem)
    Corsair 512mb pc3200
    Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm HD
    1 floppy
    1 DVD
    1 56k modem
    1 multimedia drive thing (came with mobo)
    1 sound neon blue light

and thats it..I figured a 430w could handle all that...I"ll go home and unplug my 2 side fans and neon to see if that changes anything. Just trying to make sure that it is my power supply..I don't want to buy a new 500W or 530W and it not be the problem. Sense I don't have a raid I don't see how my PS could be it unless it is Broken(its like a month old).

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Actually, as a lot of guys here can explain, it's not the wattage that the power supply is rated at, it's the voltage/amps on the rails and the stability of the power supply. Thus there are 300W supplies that perform better than 500W supplies. Slipe and Pronute are knowledgeable about this and can expound on the issue.

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

You just got me thinking, I recently had a 420W supply that was acting up and had to replace it with a 300W that was a better one...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice