1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 questions about 2 sep HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ubamous3, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

1/ i have a 160 gig maxtor thts' been around for a while; yesterday when i did a chkdsk /f /r , the log shows fixing some minor inconsistencies,etccc. but it shows 12 KB in bad sectors (a problem i have never seen before....until now); is there a utility to find out what files are on that bad sector so that i can move all files out of there except those on bad sectors? and doing a format wont fix the bad sector right

2/ on the more serious problem, i have 200g maxtor that recently made a whirling grinding noise when i start the computer; after slaving it to another computer, same symptoms, so what can i do next? should i do a chkdsk /f /r while it's grinding like that??? sounds freaky

thanks guys

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

2nd question. Whirling ginding noise, not good. Probably hard drive failure soon to follow. Run Maxtor diagnostics on it. Pray for warranty.

3. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

thanks acacandy

i concur on the not good part :) funny that i can laugh about it; i dont care much about the rma b/c i alwys buy them when they are on sale with rebates so the cost is not a huge issue,but its' the data that i dont want to lose; ihave an ebook on 200 ways to revive a dead HD;i'll look at that and see ; i heard putting it in a freezer helps; if not, i ican pound it with a hammer to show it whos the boss ;may be that will work too lol

so i assume u dont know the answer about the 12 k bad sector question right? i'll try to move all the files off of that drive and reformat and see how it goes; i have had these drives for a while so i guess they are reaching their age limit.

4. saikee

saikee

A hard disk doesn't last forever. When the dust or loose particles eventually corrupt a part of the spinning disk surface then bad secors could gradually increase untill the disk becomes a liability because of the uncontrolled loss of data.

So my answer to the first question - cut the loss and get a new hard disk.

The disk management system should automatically detect the bad sectors and keeps a record not to use them without the intervention from the user.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Regardless what you paid for it, I do rebates too :D Maxtor will send you a new one if it's under warranty. :)

6. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

oh yeah, def. i will try to rma it if it' s not expired already; i will try to move the data out first and see, but the other one that makes grinding noise; if ihook it up and it continues to grind while i move data out, will it mess up my system?

7. saikee

saikee

A damaged disk is a damaged disk and there is nothing you can do. By not relying on its operating system you have a better chance to recover the data. This would require you removed the disk and install it on another computer. If the damage extends to the operating system then the PC can hang.

8. winbob

winbob

Uba,

When you run Chkdsk, and it finds screwed up data you wind up with files saved as *.chk which contain the data that was readable from the bad sectors. The sectors are then flagged as BAD. There are a certain amount of "spares" on the drive.

A future CHKDSK (or is it a Format?) run may actually recover those previously flagged sectors...that's scarey isn't it :eek: !!!

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the *.CHK files are really from lost clusters as a rule, not from truly unreadable sectors.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/285926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice