1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Questions about my setup

Discussion in 'Games' started by Evil_Intentions, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Evil_Intentions

Evil_Intentions Thread Starter

This friday, I am getting a Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 1gb in to add to my system. After posting my specs, I would like to know if my PSU is sufficient, and if my CPU would bottleneck my new graphics card.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    2 x 1gb ram
    2x 2gb ram
    1 500gb SATA HDD
    350w PSU

THIS is my computer's specs from HP. It was a free computer I got from my teacher which I have breathed new life into.

As of now, I have an old 8500gt 512mb in there. I experience no problems, even when overclocking to 650mhz core and 1700mhz shader.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    probably not. Newer video cards (as least from what I see) need a separate power cable and my guess that your PSU will not have that connection.

3. Evil_Intentions

Don't insult my intelligence. I have a Molex to 6 pin. I am asking if the PSU can run an HD4850 period.

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

5. Evil_Intentions

Actually, I had looked at the same thread yesterday. I was unsure, because when using PSU calculators. My system shows me needing only 325 or so watts. I figured I would ask here. I didn't say "don't insult my intelligence" to be rude. I just thought it odd that he would think I didn't have or know how to use a converter.

But believe me, I have googled and used calculators. I just found it weird that the results would be so different, and figured maybe someone would have a similar setup.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I usually use this power calculator as a guide when I am buying a PSU, note I only said as a guide :).

If a PSU calculator is saying you need around 325w then, in my opinion, a 350w PSU isn't enough, especially as it is probably a cheap unit (if it came with the PC). You want to be running your PSU at no more than about 70-80% of its capability when under load to help prolong its life. So, based on that, if you need 325w to run the system then I would be looking at a good quality 450w PSU minimum.

7. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Understand the frustrations :)
    I actually spoke to a friend this morning who has a 4850, and had a 350 W PSU. He upgraded because the 350 wasnt doing the job. Under load it would shut off quickly, and he bought a 750 (It was on special offer, and worthwhile for future upgrades).

If you run at less than full load. it MAY run oh, but to be honest its a gamble. I would go for a 500, 550, or larger depending on price. CPU is not too power hungry, but under load again, everything is going to ramp up.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I don't assume people's level of experience, regardless on what it says in top right of the post. Prime example is a thread I am in. The person is trying to configure ICS, but is clueless on what is happening and how ICS works. I also work for an ISP that deals with people ranging from expert to complete novice so I have to be careful on what I say.

My post was not to offend because I don't have any facts about you or the hardware you have (PSU type) and I didn't look at the link because of time constraints. My post was a general guide, and looks like your PSU would not handle it well. As to knowing you, I am not going to spew out jargon and expect you to understand. If i feel more comfortable then I would otherwise I will try to explain as best as I can.

Anyways, hope you got your answer :)

9. Evil_Intentions

I am sorry for my over reaction. Long day and all that. Basically, I simply want to run a HD4850 with equal or greater performance than my current 8500gt until I have money to get a new PSU. I can run my 8500gt overclocked to 615mhz core, 1800mhz shader with stability, so even if I must underclock the 4850 a bit, that is fine. As you know, OEM mobos don't have CPU overclocking abilities, so no worries there. So my revised question:

Can I run a HD4850 with equal or greater performance to a 8500gt, even if I must underclock? And what is a good budget PSU in the 500+ watt range?

If possible, could it be within a $70 budget?

10. bigk

bigk

Some times the manufacture will put in required wattage for their card. If you did not find that when purchasing your card I would do a search for the manual on google, typically they are in a .pdf format.

Since yours is a manufactured pc from HP yours is going to be pretty limited on what size of PSU your going to be able to get. I mean lets say Giggabyte says that you need a minimum PSU of 800 watts, can you find a PSU that is small enough to fit in your HP case?

Is this a full size or mid size desktop computer? Judging from the picture it looks to be mid size to me.

What I did was get some thing that will last me a while so I got some thing with enough wattage. For example I got a 1000 (roughly) watt power supply. I shouldn't have to worry about power usage for quite some time.

Just my $53.94 dollars worth. :)

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    He may be OK, depends more on the machine that the case from my experience with HP. I have recently bought a HP machine (about 6 months ago), which came in a midi tower but had a standard ATX PSU in it so was easy to replace. The only limitation on that front is cabling inside because there isn't a great deal of room inside to tidy up unused cables.

12. bigk

bigk

Whats nice about the newer PSU's (like mine) you can disconnect the wires you don't use.

13. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As long as you buy a modular one :)

14. Mooncatt

Mooncatt

just wanna add one thing here, i had a x2 5200+ at one point, i upgraded my card to a gtx260 and the cpu totally was bottlenecking the performance of the card, maybe a newer cpu might be in order at the same time? anyways just my thoughts.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!