1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 questions in one

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lareux, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

History: I am working on a computer that was refusing to start up (I don't have the error message received). It wouldn't even go into safe mode. I was able to get into system recovery, but wanted to retrieve data first.

This morning when I started the computer to make sure I had the error message written correctly it wouldn't come up. Instead now it says "A disk read error occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. If I try to go into recovery, I get the message "File \minint\system32\biosinfo/inf could not be loaded. The error code is 4128
    Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.
    This is a loop I am stuck in.

Now for the second part of the problem:
    As I said before, I want to retrieve my data from the hard drive before restoring it. I have used an external hard drive reader before to retrieve data from a disk that was having problems. All I had to do was plug it into a working computer and it came up the same as a flash drive. I tried that this morning, but I am not finding the root where the files should be. Can anyone help me figure out how to get at these files?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/608368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice