1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 questions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zergpc208, Jun 25, 2006.

?

What operating system do you use??

1. DOS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows 3.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows 3.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Windows 95

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Windows 98

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Windows Me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Windows 2000

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Windows XP

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  9. using Windows vista or going to

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  10. Non Windows like Linux/Unix/OS-2 or Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

What operating system do you use?

Does Windows Vista support Dual Core Processor or Dual Processor ? And is Windows XP working on update patch so Dual Core Processor or Dual Processor work with Windows XP :eek:

And do you still have to slave the other Processor for some of work or how will it work?:confused:

2. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

First, half of this is in the wrong place. Please post questions about Windows XP in the Windows XP section, and this is not the right place to post that poll (and I don't think anyone is using DOS or Windows 3.0 :rolleyes:).

Anyway, Vista should "support" a dual-core, and so does XP so that question doesn't really make any sense to me...

For your 3rd question, I'm pretty sure you just install Vista and it just works, like a regular proccessor.

I'm not an expert in this field, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that you just install it and that's all..

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I use XP -

Yes

It already does

You don't "slave" a secondary processor. A second processor allows you to set certain processes "affinity" in the task manager. E.G. you run 12 tasks and 1 task is CPU hungry. You set all 11 tasks to run on CPU 0 and the CPU hungry 12th task you set the affinity to the CPU 1.

VERY few home brewed/or developed applications take a second processor and use both processors in unison this is something called a multithreaded application. If its multithreaded it will do what your inquring about.

4. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

So If I'm runing a virus scan and doing video editing I can set CPU 1 to do the video editing and CPU 2 to do the virus scan ?

What about Dual Core Processor how will it work?

Are you saying the applications do not support Dual Core Processor or Dual Processor :eek:

What is Hyper-Threading :eek:

5. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

My suggestion is you could have considered making it multiple choice, seeing many of us use multiple OS's! ;)

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're right. I have W2KPro on 2 machines, XP on 1, 98SE on 1 and ME on 1, plus I use a few different Linux Live distros.

7. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Hyper-threading:

All programs will "support" a dual-core (i.e. your computer isn't going to crash or anything), but some rare applications have the ability to use both processors, like some of Adobe's high-end products. But even if you run 10 programs that don't use multi-threading, a dual-core will still help you, because you can assign 5 applications to once processor and the other 5 to the other.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yes but with virus scans you get ALOT of HDD activity as well so you may still see other performance degridation. I usually would say something like converting an MPEG to an AVI at the same time as Web surfing. you set the converion affinity to CPU 1 and I.E. to CPU 0 and you will be golden.

Dual Core is just that 1 processor that has 2 physical cores E.G.

No I am saying most applications won't use both cores at the SAME TIME. This is the main reason gamers still like 1 fast single core CPU and application intesive people like 2 cores. Just like in the example on the first one your Video editing program may not be able to use BOTH cores to function it may only be able to use 1, your virus cscan can definitely only use 1 core. Only the multithreaded applications can use both cores at the same time.

Basically I dumb it down as a VIRTUAL dual core. you still have a single core chip but the floating points are configured in such a way you can "split" the single core to use in a dual core type of way. This VIRTUAL setup however is not as efficient as a true dual core system.

In all I say this -

Hypertherading - 1 core "virtualized" into 2 CPU's with some performance hits due to floating point manipulation.
    Dual Core - 2 physical core CPU - Not as good for gaming as no current games can use both cores.
    Single core - Standard CPU setup that has been in place for years before dual core and hyperthreading. Still most popular for gamers.

9. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Nice sound like paradise and will would I get such a system? And you right doing a search for file on how hard-drive or doing virus scans/scan disk or defrag you should not be running other programs too much activity on the hard-drive!!

So when will the games and Video editing program catch up with this technology? And will Office 2007 and Corel 12 support it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_2007

What about multimedia?

So it is only one core but it acts like dual core but not good has dual core :eek:

Okay does Office 2007 and Corel 12 support Hypertherading ? What about games or Video editing program ?

So this Hypertherading is special technology for processor that appear as dual core processor to the operating system and multi-threaded application but it really is one it fools the operating system and multi-threaded application and kinda works like dual core but not really :eek:

Now this is the part that gets techy Each logical processor can execute a thread of a multi-threaded program

Don't you what say Each logical processor can execute the data from each program?:eek:

-execute -run, to perform an action, as in executing a program or a command.
    -multi-threaded program-=A program that supports multi-threaded technology

Well I run about 5 programs so I could assign some work load to other CPU but can you assign with Windows 95 or Windows 98?

And Windows Vista will not crash because it is running too many command for each CPU??

10. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

I doubt that Windows 95 or 98 support dual-core CPUs.

Vista shouldn't crash unless you are completely overloading both processors, at which point you would probably get a Blue Screen of Death. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

Lets say that a "thread" is a stream of data. Multi-threaded applications have two threads - one for each processor.

So basically, to simplify that sentence:
    Each processor can run half of the application.

This is a huge advantage when working with intensive applications. It allows the application to run faster and puts less stress on the processors.

Basically...

Apps that do NOT support multi-threading:
    Dual-core will speed up the whole PC.

Apps that DO support multi-threading:
    Dual-core will speed up the whole PC AND the multi-threaded application.

Essentially, yes. The same apps that are multi-threading apps will use both virtual cores with hyper-threading.
    I'm not sure about any other multi-threading apps.

11. SacsTC

SacsTC

12. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Yes, that is a great way to visualize it.

A single processor can only run one thread at a time. That thread takes up all of the processors power.
    A processor with hyper-threading can run two threads at a time, but the threads both use half of the processing power.

In a dual-core CPU, two threads can run at the same time, but each thread uses up one core, not half of a core.
    In a dual-core CPU with hyper-threading, four threads can run at the same time, each using up a half of each core.

Does that make sense?

Basically, hyper-threading is a nice technology if you multi-task alot, but if you run just one intensive application at a time (i.e. games), a processor without hyper-threading would benefit you better.

Anyone want to add anything? (And please correct me if I'm wrong!)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/478295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice