1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 RAM sticks: One or the other but not both

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BritishMalayan, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BritishMalayan

BritishMalayan Thread Starter

Need help here. I now have two sticks of PC3200 (400MHz) 512MB DDR from Apacer - problem is they don't seem to work well together when playing games - 10 minutes max before a BSOD (other tasks don't seem to cause this). If I take out one (doesn't matter which), the problem does not occur. I've tried disabling and enabling bank interleave to no effect. The two sticks are not identical, but I thought identical is only necessary if one wants to enable bank interleave i.e. dual channel operation. The BSOD during games occur even with Bank interleave disabled.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

2. smbd

smbd

Seems like your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

3. BritishMalayan

Hello smbd,

thanks for your response.

Obviously I don't want to doa way with my existing sticks (and money is an issue too! ;) ) . Are there any workarounds?

4. BritishMalayan

Append: It seems that launching my TV tuner to watch TV also results in a BSOD if both sticks are used. Removing either returns operation to normal.

5. idowindows

idowindows

Memory test time...

Go here http://www.memtest.org/ and follow the download instructions.

Test one stick at the time. It may take even hours for testing to complete.

However, the issue that they're NOT identical may also be the primary issue...

6. BritishMalayan

I thought it would be an issue only if one wants to operate in dual channel mode...in any case it should not result in a BSOD, right? :confused:

7. BritishMalayan

A thought just struck me. I have two HDDs, each having a cooling fan attached, two side 12'' cooling fans, a TV card and a PCI sound card. Could it be that the addition of another RAM stick trigger this BSOD, in that it causes insufficient power to the rest of the system? My PSU delivers 420W

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice