1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 router on 1 network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PatelShiv, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PatelShiv

PatelShiv Thread Starter

Hello!

Just a few days ago I added another router so I can increase the range in my house and so far it has been working well but one feature, file and printer sharing. The computers (1 desktop and 3 laptops) that are connected to the main router, which is a linksys, can print and file share, but my other desktop which is on a dlink router can not. I have been searching on how to do this for hours and can't find any exact post that would help me. I'm not sure but a lot of the posts talk about DHCP so I'm guessing I should look into that while you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance!

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

3. PatelShiv

PatelShiv Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the link, but I got stuck on the first version. When I try to place the second router on the same subnet, it gives me an error stating I can't do that. Is there any other option?

EDIT: If I place the ethernet cable in my LAN port in my second router, I don't get access to the internet but if I place it into my WAN port, I do get access.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

What are the model numbers for your linksys and dlink routers? Also what is the manufacturer and model for the modem, and which router is connected to it?

5. PatelShiv

PatelShiv Thread Starter

I factory reset my dlink router and put both ethernet cables into the LAN ports of the dlink router. Changed a few settings and it worked, I can share with the router. The only one thing I want to know now is how can I check if my dlink router is giving out wireless signals or not.

For the record I have a Linksys WRT400N, Dlink DIR-615, and a Motorola modem from Optimum Online.

6. DawnMarie

DawnMarie

I actually think I understand your explanation and the link to go by, my only question is, when you give the ip is that just a number you came up with or are those the numbers I should use?

Thanks for the help,
    Dawn

7. PedroHin

PedroHin

@PatelShiv If you log into the second router's web interface, you should still be able to manage the wireless protocol and security, even though that router is no longer giving out ip addresses via DHCP, it still plays the role of a wireless access point.

8. PedroHin

PedroHin

@DawnMarie
    If I understand your question, the IP addresses mentioned in the link are only examples. You can use whatever address range is currently being used by the main router ( 192.168.2.* , 10.10.10.* 192.168.0.* )

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice