1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 routers 1 network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by computerguy1990, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerguy1990

computerguy1990 Thread Starter

Hey Guys been a while since my networking courses.

I have 2 routers 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs right now I have them both on different networks broadcasting different SSIDs. I want to move them both to the same network, instead of one being 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 I want them all on the 192.168.0.1 network.

My plan is to simply apply the same SSID to both routers and subnet both of them within the 192.168.0.1 network to hand out addresses within their subnet.

Will this allow me to move throughout my house as if it was one network or should I have the second router act as an access point?

What are your thoughts?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

What is your Internet source(s)? One to each router or are they sharing one line?
    If sharing one line, one has to be subservant to the other to function as one address network and if its two lines then even though you might have the same I.P. range they'll still be seperate networks...and confusing.
    So for one network, yes, access point and simple switch for one router.
    And if its two lines, therefore two networks, you can still communicate to each thru a proxy in the form of a computer with two network cards, one hooked up to each network, and then remote into that computer and network away!
    I have two networks, one line, seperated into media and regular/work, so things like NetFlix and network media device playback work a treat without network congestion with the work network. Then I just use a computer with two network cards to transfer, maintain and what not between the two.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988355