2 Routers, one PS3?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bsbs93

okay heres my set up right now, i have a computer in my room, and a PS3 in my room. I have a wireless linksys wrt54gs v7 with DD-WRT firmware, in bridge mode, hard wired to my comp. The other router is wayy in the other room, and that one receives internet, its a Netgear router. My question is, if i hook my PS3 up to the wireless network, will it connect to the router way in the other room (and receive a mediocre signal) or hook up to linksys router, which is hooked to the other router, and get a better signal?

Bsbs93

but these 2 routers are on the same network, ones just working as a bridge, but will my PS3 connect all the way into the other room, or to the one (bridge) thats in my room?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If one is in bridge configuration, you shouldn't have any issue connecting through it. We'd have to know more about the exact make/model of all the equipment and how it's configured and wired.

Bsbs93

okay, the one receiving internet from the modem is in the office, its a netgear WGR614 v7, i could easily connect the ps3 to that, but receive a weaker signal (as apposed to the router in my room). That router has one computer hard wired to it, and my bridged Linksys WRT54GS v7 with DD-WRT connects to it wirelessly. I have my computer hard wired to the bridged router, receiving internet just fine. SO these 2 routers, are on the same network, shouldnt the Linksys also work as a wifi extender? if the PS3 is closer to to Linksys, shouldn't it just connect to that automatically?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No, the Linksys is using the wireless section to communicate with the primary router, it's not repeating the wireless signal. Connect the PS3 to one of the wired ports on the bridged Linksys.

Bsbs93

i believe i fixed it, this can be done with the DD WRT firmware, i changed it from BRIDGE, to REPEATER BRIDGE. Quoted from the DD WRT website "The limitation with standard bridging is that it only allows wired clients to connect to your secondary router. Wireless clients cannot connect to your secondary router configured as a standard bridge.
New in DD-WRT v24 is Repeater Bridge mode. This extends your primary LAN via secondary router (bridge router) and also allows wireless clients to connect to your secondary router. This extends the range of your wireless network while simultaneously allowing wired clients to connect to your secondary router."
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I didn't realize that DD-WRT offered that mode, that must be something pretty recent. :)

Bsbs93

well although its offered, apparently its 'broken' in some versions, like one i have i think, im gonna have to do more diggingaround the dd wrt forums for an answer, but yeah useful feature (wen it works! ;p)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online