Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lu Zhun

Hello. I am putting together this new custom built desktop and am using an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark1/USB3.1 motherboard. Everything is showing up fine as it should, RAM amount and timings, etc.. and it even shows the 2 Samsung 850pro SSD's under Boot Priority, but for some reason, when I enable RAID and go to the next screen, it says that there are no drives available to select for the RAID. I may try updating the BIOS to see if this helps, but does this sound like a common issue? I tried contacting Asus support, but just kept getting rerouted. Sigh.

Here is my motherboard link: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z97_MARK_1USB_31/HelpDesk_Download/

I will include screenshots of the BIOS, so that you can see. Thank you for your help in what I can do next.

Samsung SSD Showing up under Boot Priority.jpg

No Available Disk Drives Message after Enabling RAID.jpg

Both Samsung SSD Drives showing up under Boot Menu.jpg

Triple6

Rob
You need to go into the RAID utility after the BIOS and configure the RAID array there, CRTL and I is the standard keys to access the Intel OROM after the BIOS/UEFI, you should see a splash screen for it. After it's configured you can go back into the BIOS and add the newly created array into the boot sequence.

Lu Zhun

Oh okay. Thank you very much! I will try this again. For some reason, it gets stuck and the screen keeps flashing and not going to anything when I do press Ctrl + I, like it gets stuck somehow, but I will try this again.

Lu Zhun

Yeah, sigh. I have tried several times and it keeps getting stuck continuously flashing once I do hit Ctrl + I. Otherwise, if nothing is hit, it automatically goes into BIOS. I disabled Fast boot and have the load logo set to full screen to see if that would change anything, it still keeps flashing if Ctrl + I is hit. Is there another way of accessing this utility or perhaps, it can be downloaded onto a flash drive and accessed through that? Thank you for more input about this if you have any. Have a great day. :)

Triple6

Rob
If you disconnect the SSD's, the USB flash drive, and the DVD drive can you get into the RAID utility?

There is a slightly newer BIOSm 2801 that may help, it says it "Improves System Stability".

You can also try try clearing the CMOS using the jumper/button and then only enabling the RAID.

You could also try disabling Secure Boot and enable Legacy Boot or CSM Mode and see if one of those is causing the issue. Does it appear to take the CTRL + I input? Not something with your keyboard is it?

What exactly flashes on the screen?

The firmware utility cannot be accessed through a USB utility, it can be accessed from within Windows using the Intel RST Manager but you'd need a third drive with Windows installed to do that.

Triple6

Rob
Oh, missed this in the specs before but that motherboard has two sets of SATA ports, most of them are Intel but two of them are controlled by the ASMedia SATA controller; these are beige. What ports do you have the drives connected too? Which controller/ports do you have RAID enabled for? I personally prefer Intel for their stability and performance but if you end up being really stuck you could try the ASMedia SATA ports.

Also, before you enable RAID do you see the two SSD's in the SATA Information section(first screen capture)? I assumed that they disappeared after you enabled RAID but maybe they are connected to that ASMedia controller and not showing up as a result of that on that page.

Lu Zhun

Wow. Thank you very much for these options to try. I will try each one and see what happens. Umm.. I have the 2 SSD drives plugged into white color or lighter colored Sata ports. The screen actually just barely flashes lightly. It only shows one little blinking _ at the top left, like it is waiting for you to type something, but disappears and reappears really fast over and over, that is how I can tell it is trying to load something or keeps flashing because the screen is almost black but nothing loads and I have to keep ctrl + alt + delete to reset again.

Triple6

Rob
If those are the ports on the bottom edge, as opposed to the ones on the side edge then those are the ASMedia ports, move them to the side Intel ones and check to make sure that the RAID is enabled for those, it would be a different setting although that may already be the one you have enabled.

Lu Zhun

Oh okay. Will try this. I really didn't know there were more ports. I am glad that there are because I was planning on hooking up a 2 TB Sata drive as a slave drive after I get this figured out. Lol. Yay!

Lu Zhun

Okay, I see them now. It looks like there are 2 Brown ones and 4 black ones next to those. Are there any benefits that the brown ones have over the black? All of them are 6gb/sec correct?

Lu Zhun

Okay.. about to power it on now and see if they show up under the Sata Information section in the BIOS.

Lu Zhun

Alright! Yay. This looks MUCH better. There is also a new screen that I noticed that came up, which you mentioned before that one should flash really quickly. It mentioned something about Raid and then went to BIOS. We are making progress now. Woohoo! So what was the deal with those other 2 ports. They are a separate controller or something? Not as good as Intel?

Lu Zhun

Hmm.. I am at the point of creating a new Raid setup. I selected the 2 drives, gave it a unique volume name, selected 128kb for the strip size which I think makes it Raid 0, and then it wants to know if I should create a second volume? Would there be any advantage of creating a second volume with this? or would all of the data be lost if one of the drives fail over time? The next option mentions something about Sync: N/A - Not sure what Sync means? Thank you for explaining when you have time.

Triple6

Rob
The second set of ports is pretty much there to have additionally ports since there's no real feature difference between them in this case, sometimes they add extra features such as SATA 6Gb/s support on older chipsets that don't natively support it.

I'd just create one volume, make sure it is RAID-0 and not RAID-1 if you the RAID for performance and if you want the combined capacity of the two drives. The Sync option is probably for RAID 1 and higher arrays.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online