1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Sata Drives possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmcg69, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

heya peeps im doing data recovery on a hard drive of mine and im wondering if i can have 2 sata drives connected at once. I tried to connect one IDE and one SATA but it could not read both at the same time even with all the playing around with jumpers. but it did come up and say no array defined.

The motherboard has a primary and secondry port on the motherboard (4 ports infact). so can this be done? :)

2. saikee

saikee

Think you got yourself confused.

Sata has no jumper

Sata and IDE disks are connected to different connectors of the mobo.

You should have 2 ports for IDE but each IDE cables can connect to 2 IDE devices.

You can fully populate the Sata and IDE connections. My guess is your PC is same as mind for a connection of a maximum of 4IDE devices and 2 Sata. I used up one ide device for the CD writer, one is still empty and hence running 2 IDE hard drive and 2 SATAs.

You can hook up 2 Sata and not define them as a RAID system so that they can work as independent disks. That is your rights.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may have to tinker with the BIOS settings to get all the devices working at once. My ABIT IC7-G motherboard has a pretty confusing array of options that must be set correctly to get all the devices working together. However, it is possible to have them all functional I would imagine.

4. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

what im trying to do is recover data off of a drive that will no longer boot into windows (not even through safe mode or in dos) So im trying to recover data and put it onto the ide drive.

so am i on the right track if the pc starts asking for arrays??? as i don't know how to set all of this up properly. im trying to make the ide one the master and the sata the slave/secondry drive so i can see its data using the windows insallation on the ide drive.

im a bit lost :eek:

5. saikee

saikee

You normally need two Sata to form a RAID. Raid 0 allows you to combine two Sata to form one disk. The information is split between the two to half the access time. You have to bet on nothing would go wrong because one doggy Sata leads a total loss of data as the remaining good disk with only half of everything isn't good to anybody. With RAID 1 you lose one Sata effectively by using one to mirror everything the other Sata does (in the back ground). It is a permanently back up system.

You main concern now if how to install an operating system on a Sata drive if the current one IDE disk is unbootable.

There is no master and slave arrangement with Sata. You specify the their booting sequence in the BIOS. You should be able to install an operating system into the current Sata and copy your files from the IDE into it, if you can resize the partition to provide the extra space for the Windows installation.

You can just go ahead to install Windows there. Your current BIOS will boot IDE first but as it fails the BIOS will automatically boots your first Sata before trying the second Sata.

You are lost because you are not sure of what you after. Neither do we.

6. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

i'll re explain what my goal is

My SATA drive was my original drive and that can no longer run. therefore i am trying to retireve the data off of it.

i have plugged in an IDE temporarly to recover the data and install xp on it.

What i want to do is using the windows system on the ide, recover the data from the sata.

so the ide will be the boot disk however no matter what it always boots using the sata drive (if its connected) even tho i specify the IDE first in the boot order.

When windows on the IDE loads i cannot see the SATA drive.

im such a noob :eek:

7. saikee

saikee

Let's deal with one problem at a time.

IDE Windows can't see Sata - Most probably when you install Windows you forgot to press F6 and feed SATA's driver before the installation.

SATA always boot first - That may have to do with the way you install the second Windows. You should have disconnected the Sata when install Windows in the IDE.

It appears to me that you may be using Sata's Windows to dual boot. In which case your IDE can never boot alone without the help of the doggy Sata. If I guess your system correctly then Sata's NTloader still works but its Windows is gone, otherwise you shouldn't be able to load the IDE Windows.

Your problem should resolve itself if you installed Windows in the IDE disk without the SATA present but still feed it with the SATA driver. After the installation in the IDE then you connect Sata up and do the file transfer.

We are still at a loss by your title. What is the second Sata doing here and what about the array causing your confusion? Are you going to buy two brand new Sata to do RAID knowing the existing unit has goine down?

8. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

ok mate, sorry about the title it is a bit misleading as since i thought only sata drives couldn't be used in conjunction with ide i thought about buying 2, so now i know that you can use a sata and an ide drive that is no longer the case.

Regarding the Arrays i am unsure how they work and if i need one at all.

When installing windows on the IDE i disconected the Sata drive and installed windows as normal. Should i reinstall windows on the ide by feeding the sata driver? how is this done? :)

9. SacsTC

SacsTC

Since you say that you have installed windows on an IDE controlled Hard Drive, you should now be able to boot. Yes??? If so, just shut down and reconnect the cables to the sata drive. If the drive is alive, you should be able to access the files on it after the machine reboots. You do not need any extra drivers to run sata. It is bios controlled. You only need to install extra drivers if you plan to use RAID.

10. saikee

saikee

A mobo that supports Sata disks has to supply a 3.5" floppy containing the driver. When you install NT versions of Windows the first question on the screen is "press F6 key if you use SCSI disks". Well a SATA is a variant of SCSI disks. As your CD rom is running the Windows installationthe mobo manufacturers therefore supply the driver in a floppy. No floppy? Goto the mobo manufacturer web site to download.

11. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

hmmmm i don't have a floppy drive or any ports for plugging one in. its times like these i just feel like givin up on it and scrubbin it all :(

unless its just easier to buy another sata drive to back it up onto or run a linux based OS from cd to recover it

12. saikee

saikee

Go for a Linux Live CD as it can read NTFS partitions but not write on it. So if you have a target hard drive with FAT32 partition you can transfer the partition across by drag and drop. You need to be in root (=adminstrator in Windows) to have the privileage.

I have written this thread to tell people how to clone a XP partition with a Linux Live CD.

13. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

ok, a copys coming now.

regarding the two sata drives (as im thinking of buying a backup one so this doen't happenen again) will it be easier to have a primary and a secondry drive without having drivers as such like i needed when uing the ide drive?

as im going to try recover the data but by using the new sata as the boot drive :) (should linux not work)

14. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

15. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

im desperate for an answer im so close. how can i get into 'root' mode, because at the moment it is blocking me from dragging and dropping into the target drive with fat32

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/300607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice