1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 second power on, then powerdown (repeats)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blowbags, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blowbags

Blowbags Thread Starter

Hi all,

Posted this thread last week
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1025078-solved-560-gtx-850w-ocz.html#post8138410

I messed up by letting my processor run without my heatsink sitting properly on it - thinking it was a psu/possible g-card issue I continued to test games, but under advice from here (to test voltages) I found my processor was overheating to as high as 100-110 degrees

it was working this morning, went out to get a new heat sink and thermal paste, came home, had to take out mobo (and as such, g-card, soundcard, some power connectors) to fit the back panel/rack for the heatsink.

Job done... I attempted to boot up but got an error 87 on my mobo (power not supplied to processor, I'd just forgot) - the pc just idled with power on for as long as I left it and of course it would not post without a cpu (no power to it) - point being, the power stayed on.

So with a bit of relief I simply plugged the cpu power cord in thinking that was it... well, nope...

The PC now powers on for 2 seconds, and cuts power, as if its trying to protect my mobo from a power surge or it just cant power the CPU (I conclude that because if I unplug the cpu power, the machine will stay on, but as say before, no post.
    In this state, it also seems to struggle a few times every 10 seconds, even the LEDs which are constant blink a little and the fans slow for 1-2 seconds.)

The machine is 5 years old, I have small amounts of super glue near the screw holes where you mount the heat sink, I put too much thermal paste on, basically didnt do a good job of it.

So essentially all I am asking here is, would this be typical behaviour of a dead processor or board failing to make a connection.

For what it's worth, specs are:
    Motherboard - Abit IP35 pro
    Intel Q6600 - 2.4ghz (x4)
    4gig ram (Corsair Ballistic 1gigx4)
    1TB Sata + 60gig SSD (SSD is not being used for OS at the moment but is plugged in/using power)
    OCZ 850w PSU

I have checked places like toms hardware for instructions for how to complete a decent process of elimination, but its seems very excessive - I know that may come across as brattish/impatient, but for something thats been working for 5 years, replace a heatsink, and a sucessfully diagnosed problem component (overheating processor) I kind of resign myself that it cant be the g-card/ram, so don't really fancy testing one chip at a time when they were fine this AM, testing another PSU in my system by tearing a friend's apart - for now, I am more concerned with confirmation of typical symptoms of a truely broken processor and/or mobo.

Thanks again

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Sounds like your CPU overheated to me or bent a pin when you tried to put it back in. Check for bent pins. If you did bend on you can bend it back and see if it works. Otherwise orfer a new CPU. There is a chance your mobo is damaged too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice