1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 simple RAM and USB questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ultimax, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I've got 2 simple questions:

1. My gf's got a P3-450 with 64mb of RAM (in 1 slot, with 2 remaining empty ones). I'd like to bump that up to maybe 256mb, or even 300mb. Basically, as much as her system and my pocket can support.

What kind of RAM should I get? There's all sorts now, and I'm confused. I used to be a tech geek in 1994-95, when EDO RAM was king, but I'm completely lost now.

Also, do P3-450s have a cap to the maximum amount of RAM the system can support?

2. A friend gave me a USB hub (I plug it into 1 USB port and I get 4). I'm pretty sure it's USB 1.1 or whatever because he bought it 2 years ago. I'm using USB 2.0. WIll it transfer at 2.0 or 1.1 speeds?

thanks a mil!

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

The ram type you will need will depend on the motherboard. You need to find out what type it supports.

As for the USB, if it's a 1.1, it will run at 1.1 speeds.

3. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

Hi,

how do I do this? Is there software which I can download which will give me this information?

thanks

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Try Belarc Adviser. Google will find it for you.

As to the maximum that the motherboard will support, its often BIOS dependent. "Brand names" are sometimes more resricted (due to OEM versions of BIOS).

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Everest Home reports that I have 64mb of RAM in 1 row (Computer -> Moterhboard -> SPD), 4 banks. Does that mean I have 3 empty slots?

Also, will running a P3-450 with 512mb of RAM be an overkill? Or would 256mb be more than enough enough? I don;t want to waste $ on megabytes of RAM i don't need. I don't do anything other than surf the net, play mp3s and use MS Office (sometimes all 3 at the same time) on this computer.

BTW, do I have to install SDRAM PC-100 modules in pairs? I remember you had to with EDO RAM back in the day.

Thanks!

7. cavtek

cavtek

Also, will running a P3-450 with 512mb of RAM be an overkill? Or would 256mb be more than enough enough? I don;t want to waste $ on megabytes of RAM i don't need.
    BTW, do I have to install SDRAM PC-100 modules in pairs? I remember you had to with EDO RAM back in the day.

hi ultimax. post the make and model motherboard and it can be determined how much ram it can support. it should be either 256m or 512m. 256m should be enough for your purposes. (or even a module of 128m to supplement your existing 64m module).
    look in everest home to find out what the cas latency is and whether the memory is ecc or non ecc. pc100 is not required to be installed in matching pairs.

8. cavtek

cavtek

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The MB make/model will determine the maximum size memory modules you can support. I'd suggest that 256mb would be plenty for most applications, since I doubt you'll be doing a lot of CAD on that system. :) FWIW, you should be able to use PC133 memory without any problem on that machine if it specifies PC100. You don't buy in pairs, a single module does the trick. Note that one problem with older machines is that the mix of address lines vs. chip select lines has changed with bigger memory modules, so you'll occasionally find a 256mb module that looks like a 128mb module in older systems. :)

10. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

Hi guys,

sorry for taking such a long time to reply to this thread. The system in question is actually in my gf's place, and I keep forgetting to post the mobo info whenever I'm at her place!3

I'm thinking of buying RAM modules from the 2nd hand mkt. They're dirt cheap. I saw a bloke selling a 128mb PC100 module for abt US$9. I think I could get a 64mb module for abt 5 bucks, just to see if 128mb (her computer already has 64mb of RAM) is enough for her purposes.

Are all PC100 RAM modules the same? I've seen terms like ECC, parity etc tossed abt in some of the forums. Should I be concerned abt making sure I get the right "type"?

Anyway, here's what I got from Everest. Sorry for the huge chunk of text!

---[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID <DMI>
    Motherboard Name Acer Aspire_6100

Front Side Bus Properties:
    Bus Type Intel GTL+
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz
    Effective Clock 100 MHz
    Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
    Bus Type SDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz
    Effective Clock 100 MHz
    Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer:
    Company Name Acer Inc.
    Product Information http://global.acer.com/products/index.asp
    BIOS Download http://global.acer.com/support/index.htm

--------[ Memory ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical Memory:
    Total 63 MB
    Used 61 MB
    Free 1 MB
    Utilization 98 %

Swap Space:
    Total 991 MB
    Used 65 MB
    Free 926 MB
    Utilization 7 %

Virtual Memory:
    Total 1055 MB
    Used 127 MB
    Free 928 MB
    Utilization 12 %

Problems & Suggestions:
    Problem Modern operating systems require at least 128 MB system memory for optimum performance.

--------[ SPD ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Infineon HYS64V8200GU-8 ]

Memory Module Properties:
    Module Name Infineon HYS64V8200GU-8
    Serial Number 070F0CE9h
    Module Size 64 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC100 (100 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage LVTTL
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 us), Self-Refresh
    Highest CAS Latency 3.0 (10.0 ns @ 100 MHz)
    2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (10.0 ns @ 100 MHz)

Memory Module Features:
    Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
    Auto-Precharge Supported
    Precharge All Supported
    Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
    Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
    Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Differential Clock Input Not Supported
    Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer:
    Company Name Infineon Technologies AG
    Product Information http://www.infineon.com/cgi/ecrm.dll/ecrm/scripts/prod_cat.jsp?oid=-8003

--------[ Chipset ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chipset Properties:
    Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
    In-Order Queue Depth 4

North Bridge Properties:
    North Bridge Intel 82443BX/ZX
    Revision / Stepping 03 / C1
    Package Type 492 Pin BGA
    Package Size 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm
    Core Voltage 3.3 V

South Bridge Properties:
    South Bridge Intel 82371EB PIIX4E
    Revision / Stepping 02 / A0
    Package Type 324 Pin mBGA
    Package Size 2.7 cm x 2.7 cm
    Core Voltage 3.3 V

Memory Timings:
    CAS Latency (CL) 3T
    RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 2T
    RAS Precharge (tRP) 2T

Memory Slots:
    DRAM Slot #1 64 MB (PC100 SDRAM)

AGP Properties:
    AGP Version 1.00
    AGP Status Enabled
    AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
    Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x
    Current AGP Speed 2x
    Fast-Write Not Supported
    Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Chipset Manufacturer:
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
    Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

Problems & Suggestions:
    Problem AGP aperture size is more than half of the system memory size. This may cause performance penalty.

--------[ BIOS ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIOS Properties:
    BIOS Type Acer
    System BIOS Date 04/01/98
    Video BIOS Date 98/05/25

Problems & Suggestions:
    Suggestion Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade? Contact eSupport Today!
    Suggestion System BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.

11. cavtek

cavtek

the 64mb module you already have installed is cl3 so you better get any additional modules with the same specs. if you have win 95/98/me. you should have a minimum 128mb ram . if you have the xp series you should have 256mb minimum and remember you dont reach a point of diminishing returns with ram until you have 512mb installed as a general rule and bear in mind you still havent posted the mobo model so no can can state with accuracy how much ram the board will support. and no not all pc100 modules are the same. if the box is OEM it may not have a place in the bios to change the settings for your memory. that is why it would be wise for you to stick with cl3 ram. buying second hand is always risky business but i have had success buying ram on ebay, cant beat the prices...cl3 (cas latency) can be identified by the simple statement that the ram is cl3 or by the designation ...16x64 for 128mb modules or 32x64 for 256mb modules or 64x64 for 512mb modules. cl3 is also non ecc memory. JOHNWILL is also correct in stating that most pc 133 modules are backwards compatible in pc100 machines.

12. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

Hi Cavtek,

thanks for all your advice!

and I don't know what mobo the system uses. But I doubt I'll have more than 256mb of RAM on that system.

will CL 2 RAM work?

13. cavtek

cavtek

hi max. i cannot say state that cl2 will work with your system with any degree of accuracy. however i have tried a pc133 256mb module cl3 in a 400mhz pII that was built by afriend of mine in 98 (a non oem motherboard). i removed the existing 64mb module of pc100 cl2 and the machine identified the 256mb pc133 module and ran well without any changes in the bios. again, the outcome will depend on the motherboard. heres a link to your mobos specs...http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/61xx.htm...this page was found by a google search. it appears that it will support individual modules up to 128mb for a maximum of 384mb (3 128mb modules). but it doesnt state wether it will support cl2. i think there is a good chance it will if all the modules installed are cl2. i dont think it will damage your machine to give it a try, it just wont post and it will give a beep code signaling a memory error. you may want to wait and see if anyone will will post more info on that before you try it.

14. cavtek

cavtek

15. ultimax

ultimax Thread Starter

hey cavtek!

thanks again for your detailed reply.

I found a guy on a local hardware forum selling 1 128mb Kingston and 1 32mb module for US$12. He's given me 5 days to test the modules on my gf's system. Hopefully they'll work. If not, I'll just return them to him and get a refund.

Will let u guys know how it goes.

thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice