2 sound cards at once

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vg19

Hi,

I have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 and and intergrated sound card in my motherboard. Is it possiable to use both of them so that I can put speakers into both sound cards and sound comes out? Or does one have to be disabled?

Thanks,
Varun

There was a similar thread within the last two weeks and the answer was yes but thats all I remember. Try doing a search on this board.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
In along the same lines as the sound card discussion- have seen threads, other forums postings too, and hardware reviews about this same thing with video cards....someone wants to use two monitors at once, to expand the desktop,,,,some cards allow it, some dont I guess, and they were advised to just install another card. I was given an old pc used by a hearing place that had two sound cards in, one was just for special hearing test tones or something, but it worked great for any sound. Both in that were old ISA type, one was longer- old extended VESA type I think.

Its certainly possible to run 2 cards. But its trial and error - each PC is different, each set of cards is different - some behave better than others. Some don't at all.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm having difficulty with the reason why you'd want to do this... :rolleyes:

John, It's Simplely this...

More Ports to plug in More speakers, More speakers means more Watts, More watts Means LOUDER. Also you could Hook up a MEAN:cool: Surround sound system

Nope - you can only have an app (cd player/mp3 player/whatever) outputting to 1 card at a time, as far as I know.

If you just want loud, get a decent set of powered speakers and plug them into the 1 card.

Sound would be better in the Live (I have 1). Could try to disable the on board sound, install the Live and just use that for all your sounds.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online