1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 sound cards at once

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vg19, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 and and intergrated sound card in my motherboard. Is it possiable to use both of them so that I can put speakers into both sound cards and sound comes out? Or does one have to be disabled?

Thanks,
    Varun

2. plschwartz

plschwartz

There was a similar thread within the last two weeks and the answer was yes but thats all I remember. Try doing a search on this board.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

In along the same lines as the sound card discussion- have seen threads, other forums postings too, and hardware reviews about this same thing with video cards....someone wants to use two monitors at once, to expand the desktop,,,,some cards allow it, some dont I guess, and they were advised to just install another card. I was given an old pc used by a hearing place that had two sound cards in, one was just for special hearing test tones or something, but it worked great for any sound. Both in that were old ISA type, one was longer- old extended VESA type I think.

4. Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Its certainly possible to run 2 cards. But its trial and error - each PC is different, each set of cards is different - some behave better than others. Some don't at all.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm having difficulty with the reason why you'd want to do this... :rolleyes:

6. TJ_hawk

TJ_hawk

John, It's Simplely this...

More Ports to plug in More speakers, More speakers means more Watts, More watts Means LOUDER. Also you could Hook up a MEAN:cool: Surround sound system

7. Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Nope - you can only have an app (cd player/mp3 player/whatever) outputting to 1 card at a time, as far as I know.

If you just want loud, get a decent set of powered speakers and plug them into the 1 card.

Sound would be better in the Live (I have 1). Could try to disable the on board sound, install the Live and just use that for all your sounds.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice