1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 sticks of 256MB RAM is only 256MB on P3V4X!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dreamer_cast, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dreamer_cast

dreamer_cast Thread Starter

Hey there guys, new here, just wondering if someone can help me. I just picked up another 256MB ram to put in my system, the thing is that piece and the piece already in there refuse to work together! Seperately, they work fine, but they will not work together......they are K-Byte and IBM chips on a P3V4X mobo with Win XP. I have tried different slots, cleaned them out, changed stuff in BIOS, nothing will fix it. Thanks for any help,

Dreamer

2. n2gun

n2gun

It sounds like there are imcompatable with each other for some reason. Have you checked the specifications on each to see how close they are to the same? Could one be a parity stick and the other non-parity? If so they would not work together. Also it is possible the second slot is bad. I had that on a board I had.

By the way welcome to TSG

3. dreamer_cast

dreamer_cast Thread Starter

it's not the slots, I tried each one individually, and they all worked, so I guess they are incompatable

Dreamer

4. sketchman

sketchman

You may also want to check the mobo mfg to see if the board can handle that much ram or like the previous member stated the two may be incompatible with each other try going to crucial.com and see if the two sticks of ram have any "known issues"
    good luck Sketchman:D

5. BTS '76

BTS '76

Some mother boards require bank #0 to be populated before any other bank. So try taking all sticks of ram out, and reinstalling, starting with bank or slot #0.

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

dreamer_cast: If you look on page 20 of your mobo manual, there is info there about the DIMMS and your mobo. The mobo will support up to 2Gigs of memory. It sounds like the two different brands of memory are not compatible with each other. Actually, this mobo performs better with one 512 stick other than 2-256s'. I have used 1, 2, 3 and 4 sticks and never had any problems, however i did go to using one 512 stick for basic systems(Micron,unbuffered,Cas2 always!). Usually, try to stick with the same brand ram if possible( the latency or timing can be different and cause problems like you are having).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice