1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 things-upgrade HP notebook from ME to 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by authorette, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. authorette

authorette Thread Starter

Merry Christmas

I hope someone can help. I have a copy of win2000 upgrade that I used to upgrade a brand new HP notebook PC from Windows ME to Win2000 (upgrade). Everything looks good except 2 things:

When it checked for win2000 compatibility with loaded software (I was just from the factory), it identified that 2000 was not compatible with any of the Windows Works programs that were pre-loaded. (that was fine as I have office xp I'm going to use). When I boot up the computer, I get an error message box saying:
    WKSCal.exe -unable to locate DLL
    The dynamic link library MSVCP60.DLL could not be found in specified path (.....yada-yada)
    Question 1- how can I get that error message to go away for good since I don't need to ever use that file.

Question 2- win2000 shrank the screen display of the windows desktop, it doesn't fill the whole screen. It is shrunk on all 4 sides aproximately 20%. I have adjusted the screen resolution in the control panel/display/settings to the more setting and it does not help. The other parts of the screen are black and acts like the monitor is small.

I appreciate anyone's help on this. Thanks. :)

2. brianF

brianF

for the works calendar problem either go to add remove programs and uninstall it or you could try downloading this utility for 2k, acts like msconfig in win98. Should allow you to uncheck the line calling the works file

http://www.insideproject.com/guides/showguide.cfm?guideid=31

Sorry not familiar with laptop screens so no commect

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

It does sound like the screen resolution is off on the monitor. Check over at HP and see if they have windows 2000 drivers for your particular laptop available. LCD on laptops can be very sensitive to screen drivers and resolutions.

I know that HP makes the drivers for laptops made in the last year or so available for windows 2000.

4. authorette

authorette Thread Starter

Thanks to the both of you. I will try it this weekend. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice