1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Very Simple Questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MicGoogle, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MicGoogle

MicGoogle Thread Starter

I have a HP Media Center PC M7160n
    with Windows XP Operating System.
    I've couple of questions.

First is, I've 3 browsers, IE 8 [latest beta] + Firefox 3.03 + Google Chrome

In Firefox whenever i access certain websites that look at user-agents and determines the course of action, I keep getting websites saying "NO USER-AGENT FOUND YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE!"

So i checked it out and it seems this is true, especially when i access youtube.com and i get a blank page because it seems it can't read my user-agent.
    So i got a firefox plugin to change user-agent and set it to the "DEFAULT" Mozilla Firefox agent and tried it, still nothing!

To confirm this i went on:
    http://www.useragent.org/ and it gave me this result:

Code:
    What is my User Agent?

Your User Agent is:

Find out your IP Address
    Then i went on http://whatsmyuseragent.com/
    And got this:
    Code:
    The Elements of Your User Agent String Are:

The Full Header Sent by Your Browser is:
    HTTP_CONNECTION:keep-alive
    HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE:300
    HTTP_ACCEPT:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET:ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE:en-us,en;q=0.5
    HTTP_HOST:whatsmyuseragent.com
    HTTP_REFERER:http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+my+user+agent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
    HTTP_XXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    HTTP_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXX
    HTTP_XXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Most Recent User Agents Visiting this Page:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 

Is there any way i can fix this?

Also for IE 8, when i go on hotmail.com and log in it says "Your browser must the latest version of either IE, Mozilla Firefox"

And I can't go to my inbox because that message basically won't let me go further. I believe it to be probably an user-agent problem as well?

Now to my second question:
    I've a Windows XP with 200 GB hard-drive, so since it is a 32-bit it reads it as 176 GB
    However i've recently noticed that half-the hardrive is full when i'm not even using that much. It shows it to be 70 GB free, so after some investigation i've found that the files in my System Volume Information folder take up 70 GB +
    I went on microsoft.com and searched for how to find and access the System Volume Information folder (c:\System Volume Information) since it is a hidden system file, so after following tips from (http://www.tweakxp.com/article36959.aspx and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531) I found the system_restore folder, so i proceeded to turn off System Restore for my hard-drive and then rebooted in safe-mode to delete that file. When i was deleting it stopped because it said that "change.log" is still in use and cannot be deleted because it is access-denied.

Can someone help me find change.log and/or change the permissions on that file and if possible delete that file so i can get back my space?

2. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

i cant help with the web browsing,but what i do know is system restore does use a lot of memory...so after you turn it off simply go to disk cleanup and options and clean restore points...

3. MicGoogle

MicGoogle Thread Starter

Regarding System Restore
    - I've done that already still its not deleted 70 GB +
    It may have deleted the point but not the datas, i've read somewhere that If you use ZoneAlarm it stores data from zonealarm into system restore automatically, and that it does this automatically

However it should matter when doing this in safe-mode as no-antivirus or firewall is loaded and "change.log" i'm trying to google that up. Still no results

4. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

thats odd....im on vista...but system restores the same i thought..im missing something...i never had to delete anything thats for sure....just the old restore points.....

5. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

and obviously disable system restore....never went in safe mode or anything....my lost memory just came back....

6. MicGoogle

MicGoogle Thread Starter

You're talking about memory, I'm talking about hard-drive space..
    maybe we're talking about 2 different things here..
    Yes if you read my initial posts, disabling system restore and using disk cleanup were the first things i did

7. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

but system restore does give the appearance of using up a hideous amount of disc space....

8. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

you didnt need to go into safe mode and delete anything.....when you remove the restore points and restart your memory will reappear.....

9. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

memory...meaning hard disc space....

10. MicGoogle

MicGoogle Thread Starter

someone please help?

11. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

havnt you sorted it yet....do you have shadow copy software?...

12. MicGoogle

MicGoogle Thread Starter

No i've sorted it out, i feel like reinstalling the whole computer and backing up the current valuable data, the only problem then is updating everything which takes really forever from BIOS to virus software etc.

thats all

Can you help me with the firefox eror?

13. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

i know exactly how you feel..ive not long ago reinstalled mine...took ages...it was only after i loaded evrything that i realised the reinstall had gone seriously wrong.. i use tuneup utilities...and when i shredded the recycle bin crap it shredded a gig and a half worth of digital art,lol....no matter wht i tried i couldnt fix the fault...so reinstalled again!!! a clean one this time...as for your firefox im not familiar with user agents??...but i have firefox three and no probs with you tube at all..you sure your security isnt a bit high?...or am i again on the wrong track.....as for reinstalling you could reinstall xp i thought in a way that kept evrything..but fixed all the bugs??...

14. joebloggit

joebloggit Banned

if you reinstall and go straight to service pak downloads its a whole lot kwiker....rather than updates coming in bit by bit.....

15. MicGoogle

MicGoogle Thread Starter

THANK YOU JOEBLOGIT!
    I FIXED THE FIREFOX ERROR! It was my Zone Alarm..
    I turned off the whole "****" and now its working and a user-agent detecting website finally detected my user-agent. So i know now that was a zone alarm security settings..

Now i still need help with the stupid system volume information trash.. removing that..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice