1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Win2K's not on speaking terms!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TShill7, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TShill7

TShill7 Thread Starter

I have a Win2k SP1 desktop & Win2k laptop with wireless cards connecting to a Netgear wireless ADSL modem/router.

They can ping each other but not connect even with Sharing enabled. The laptop can't browse the network "not available at present" - and the desktop sees the laptop in the browser but says "network path not found"

Have you come across this before? By the way, they both can connect to the internet via the router which assigns their IP addresses.

Many thanks!
    T.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Check and see if NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled in TCP/IP advanced properties.

If that doesn't fix it, install NETBEUI protocol on both machines.

You do realize that you need an account on the machine you're connecting to with the same name/password as the client machine making the connection, correct? Also, you have to have File & Print sharing enabled and have shared some resource on the machine you are connecting to.

3. jmc

jmc

johnwill, can you clarify this a bit? I thought this was the case, but is it only that the clients need to have an account on the primary computer? Once I had NETBEUI installed, the two clients could share files, even though they don't have accounts on each other - but each one does have an account on the primary, wired computer. I'd just like to understand this a bit better...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have the guest account enabled, you don't need a specific account. OTOH, if you disable guest, you need an account for the client machine on the server. If you want all machines to be able to access all the other machine's files, and they all have unique name/password logins, you'll need accounts for every client on every machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice