1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Win98 & an XP. How does this work?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Taggman, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taggman

Taggman Thread Starter

Brand new to this so here it goes.
    Basic info:
    I have 2 Win98se and 1 XP home machine, one switch where the 2 98's are connected, a linksys router that XP is connected to. The switch is uplinked to the router. My 2 98 machines can see each other no problem, but don't see the XP. XP sees the 98s but won't give me permission to access. After doing some homework I discovered that if you enable the ipx protocol & in advanced settings you set it to 802.3 frame rate on all machines you should get connectivity. All folders have share enabled with full access. My 2 98's now have access to the XP & share fine, but my XP still won't let me access the 2 98s. I see them on network neighbourhood, but when I click on them XP says that I don't have permission. I am administrator on all 3 machines.
    Any suggestions???

Thanx
    Taggman

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Administrator on a W98 machine? How do you do that? :D

If all the machines are in the same workgroup, and the two W98 machines have file sharing enabled, I'm somewhat at a loss as to why the XP machine can't share files. FWIW, I use NETBEUI to help network browsing, sometimes workgroup browsing with TCP/IP doesn't always work, for reasons that nobody I know can fully explain. :)

3. coderanger

coderanger

You definetly need NETBEUI, but good luck. It can sometimes be a pain to install, depending on your system config. This solved the XP issues on my LAN. Look for a NETBUEI patch on the Microsoft site, and ignore their warning about how it might not work.

4. JohnWill

Actually, NETBEUI is on the XP CD, buried in the ValueAdd directory.

5. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
  6. Taggman

Taggman Thread Starter

Well, I have to hand it to you guys.
    The netbeui worked like a charm. It's alittle slow but it works fine for what I need.

Thanx alot.

Taggman

7. JohnWill

Go ahead, make my day. :D

8. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    You're very welcome.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice