1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 window 2000 pro OS on one computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kluftern2, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kluftern2

kluftern2 Thread Starter

Some how I have 2 WIN 2000 Pro on my computer. One works and the other doesnt, so how do delete the one that doesnt work?

2. rhMattL19

rhMattL19

What do you mean "somehow"?

It depends how they're installed I guess. I mean, if they're on seperate partitions, then you could run the Windows 2000 installation, just to the part where you get to remove a partition, then reboot.

Even if they're not on seperate partitions, the Windows setup could probably be smart enough to say "dude! there are two!" and let you remove one from a list. You could then reboot.

Maybe you could just delete whatever directory the other Windows is installed to, absolutely don't recommend that way though, given all the registry entries and whatever else is involved.

I am goin' off possibilities, simply because I've never installed two instances of Windows on a single computer. Least if I did, it would be on seperate partitions.

Anyhow, those methods may work. Stick in the Windows disc, see what it says ... just don't go installing a third time!

Good luck to ya!

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    This machine was probably reinstalled at some point. You need to edit your boot.ini file.

4. kluftern2

kluftern2 Thread Starter

how do edit my boot.ini file and there is no other partition with windows 2000 but its somehow still there!!!!

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Click Start
    Click Run
    Type boot.ini

This should bring up your boot.ini file. Be very careful with this!!!

There should be two lines of syntax in there. Depending on which one works when you boot your machine, that will determines whether line 1 or line 2 gets deleted. If you delete the wrong one, your computer may not boot.

6. rhMattL19

rhMattL19

This person still has two instances of Windows installed though, right?

Maybe I missed somethin' ... I don't know.

7. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    He probably only has one installation, but sometimes when you reinstall Windows, your boot.ini will think you have more than one installation on your hard drive. All he needs to do is delete one of those lines and he won't get the boot menu anymore.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice